downstairs neighbors

I moved into a upstairs apartment 2 months ago, the day i moved in the funiture company pulled up with a giant truck and put 2 bedroom suits together and brought my living room set up. the whole time the downstairs neighbors were pounding on the ceiling. Also i have 4 kids 16, 14, 6, and 4 yr.s old. A week later i hear pounding on the door a man said that were walking to loudly and could we keep it down, i said ok. My 2 youngest kids try to run a little and i keep telling them that people are downstairs so dont and not to talk loudly and for the most part they are quiet. I run the dishwasher and vaccum before 6p.m. and not loud radios. So the only problem is our walking. 3 days ago at 1p.m. a cop shows up at my door, saying he was called because of noise, i was home alone that day and just cleaning the house not moving any furniture, i told him that i cant sit on my couch all day?

lalaof4

Asked by lalaof4 at 4:00 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Home & Garden

• So what did he say?

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:02 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Call the apartment manager and explain the situation. You are trying to be good neighbors, but they are being unreasonable downstairs. We have had the same problem. I have lived downstairs and upstairs and can tell you when we were downstairs we were not bothered my anything other than partying and music to loud. Now we live upstairs and try to be quiet, but we have to be able to live. Maybe the manager can help sooth the situation.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I have had 3 kids on the 2nd floor and my neighbor under me would always come and complain.
    Not to be mean but all families should be on the first floor. it is stressful to always tell your kids to walk softly and to never wear shoes around. it is also stressful to hear people walking on your head.
    If this guy doesn't like you above him then he needs to request a different apt.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 4:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I live in an apartment with upstairs neighbors, in my case, they are 2 college students that are extremely loud and inconsiderate. I think that when you move into an apartment with upstairs neighbors, a person already knows that there is going to be some noise from the upstairs neighbors. Your downstairs neighbors are being unreasonable.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• That's tough to answer or say anything. I once lived on a bottom floor apartment. They had sub woofers though. The stereo was so loud during the day! My windows would vibrate. One of my windows cracked. Can you believe the management expected me to pay?
    I did not though because the management came by and heard the music one day. But those were adults above me.
    Kids would have been easier to hear.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 4:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Wow, what jerks. My sister lives on the main floor with her 1 year old son and the people above her are jerks. They don't even try to keep it down, but if my nephew cries or she vacuums they bang on the floor. Yet they are up till 2am blaring music and my sister says nothing. Talk to your landlord.
    hornz102485

Answer by hornz102485 at 4:21 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Families should always live on the ground level. Even if you are just walking, it is a lot of people walking, sometimes running and other times rushing. You sound reasonable but I have had horribly inconsiderate neighbors upstairs (couldn't hang anything on the walls because their movements would make it fall down). People like your neighbors should also never live on the ground level because you have to expect some noise.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 4:27 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• The one time we had upstairs neighbors, I had no problems with their noise levels during the day, but when their parties were loud and "stompy" after midnight with infant twins sleeping in our apartment.....that's when I had problems. 1st call the 1st time was to the apartment manager on call and he told us to call the cops for any noise complaints after 11pm. I called the cops and the college kids above us (now we were also college "kids" but we were married with twins so no partying for us) were arrested that night because it wasn't just underage drinking and after hours noise, but also assorted drugs.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 5:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I've lived both in upstairs and downstairs apartment and agree those families with small children should live on the first floor. It's unrealistic to expect small children to walk softly or not bounce. They should be taken to the playground, or park regularly. I presently live in a first floor apartment and can't stand the upstairs neighbor's kids who litter my front door and lawn with candy wrappers, juice bottles, toys, etc. The kids are often playing, without supervision, right in front of my door. Unfortunately, yes, I've reported them to management.
    Ewadun

Answer by Ewadun at 6:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I only moved in this upstairs apartment because i thought it would be harder for thieves to break in, i never lived in a apartment before and didnt know about the thin floor thing. When my lease is up i will be in a house of a townhouse style apartment where theres no one over or below me.
    lalaof4

Comment by lalaof4 (original poster) at 6:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2010