Can I eat peanuts and breast feed?

amylynn4919

Asked by amylynn4919 at 4:02 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Is there a list of foods that I should avoid while breastfeeding?
    Straight from kellymom.com

There are NO foods that a mother should avoid simply because she is breastfeeding. It is generally recommended that you eat whatever you like, whenever you like, in the amounts that you like and continue to do this unless you notice an obvious reaction in your baby to a particular food. There is no such thing as a "LIST OF FOODS THAT BREASTFEEDING MOTHERS SHOULD NOT EAT" because most nursing moms can eat anything they want, and because the babies who are sensitive to certain foods are each unique - what bothers one may not bother another. If you have a family history of allergies, you might want to avoid certain foods (for example, peanuts or dairy), but again, this would be different for every child.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 4:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Officially yes.

If you have history of peanut allergy in either family or a history of allergy you may want to avoid it. My DIL has no allergies and we have no food allergies in our family but we have asthma and other allergies. My DIL ate a lot of peanuts in pregnancy and while nursing. My grandbaby has eczema head to toe. He is now 22 mo and he had allergy testing. He is allergic to peanuts and some other foods. We have to carry an epipend everywhere.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• There are no foods that should be avoided while breastfeeding. The exception to this would be if your baby reacts to a certain food, but that is not very common.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Kfroz nailed it... you can eat what you like while breastfeeding.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 4:40 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I eat PB often and I BF. You don't need to avoid anything.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 8:37 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• no, you can eat what you like. i limit caffiene bc it makes my daughter pretty gittery if i have too much. with my second child i could not eat cabbage bc it gave him gas. with my first i had to limit dairy bc that gave him gas. so i guess it's trial and error, but eating peanuts or pb will not give them an allergic reaction
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:34 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• unless baby is having a reaction to something you eat, you can eat whatever.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 11:42 AM on Jul. 16, 2010