To my cat I am considered a traitor in her eyes...what do I do?

About a month ago my husband and I took in this really beautiful chocolate calico cat in. Well she wasn't quite a year old but not a young kitten either...sort of in the middle. We took her in, am giving her a temporary home until we can find her home and she's a really good cat, too very overprotective of my newborn infant daughter. (She will not leave your side if you are holding the baby.)
Well we took in another stray kitten that looks to be about 3 or 4 months old. Gypsie (the calico) hisses, scratches, chases and growls at poor Tiptoes. What do I do? Its like world war 3 between felines!!!

SitaStJames

Asked by SitaStJames at 8:13 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Pets

• It will be like that for a few weeks but they will soon get used to each other and become friends, don't worry!!
    Peekalou

Answer by Peekalou at 8:14 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I hope so its just that right now Gypsie is chasing poor Tiptoes all over the house while growling at her. And right before Gypsie almost got a hold of the kitten, Tiptoes dropped to the ground and it looked like she was playing dead. And Gypsie stopped in her tracks, hissed, growled and swiped at her with her pay then swaggered (never knew a cat could swagger) off. Tiptoes layed there for about a few seconds before cautiously getting up and is now hiding under my youngest son's portable crib. (lol) It's kind of funny.
    SitaStJames

Answer by SitaStJames at 8:33 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• We once took in an old cat and the cat we already had would his and try to attack the old one. Eventually she stopped and they both gave eachother a wide berth. It's something that the cats need to work out themselves.

I doubt your cat sees you as a traitor. Chances are he/she doesn't understand why there's another cat in her territory.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 8:49 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• oh I don't know...Gypsie used to love all over me and now she won't come anywhere near me. Is it possible for a cat to give you the third degree? (lol) Yeah so far they are both now on opposit (sp?) sides of the living room.
    SitaStJames

Answer by SitaStJames at 9:00 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Part of it could be that she is wondering why you would have brought another cat into "her" territory and the other part is that they need to learn to co-exist and the fact remains-she is TOP cat and this new cat well-in Gypsie's mind-"needs to learn her place"!! Trust me, I've been through it before-but I had to male cats and brought another stray in-and well, they never got along-so we gave those male cats to my Grandma on her farm go be mouser's!! The kitty we had from that-we ended up naming her Spooky-cuz she was spooked by anything and everything!! After being beat up by those two brothers-that were only about a year old and she was only a few months old!
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 11:19 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• (lol) sorry to hear about the kitten getting beat up by her brothers. So far Gypsie is trying to avoid Tiptoes at all cost. Although when she sees Tiptoes heading toward one of the liter boxes she will follow her and hiss at her. Then just a few minutes ago she went up to Tiptoe who was sleeping on our couch and swatted her in the face with her paw. Now that was funny but I felt bad for the kitten. Other than that Gypsie will pretty much avoid the kitten.
    SitaStJames

Answer by SitaStJames at 11:54 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• would you consider making the mean cat a outdoor cat?
    karasmatic

Answer by karasmatic at 1:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• DO NOT make the older cat an outdoor cat. That is the worst thing you can do. It shortens her life expectancy greatly for a variety of reasons. And if you think she resents/hates you now...
    And aside from that, she is not being mean. She is exibiting NORMAL animal behavior- She is letting the "new kid" know that she is the alpha in the house. It's simply an adjustment period, just as everyone in a human family has to adjust to having a new baby in the house.
    I have 5 cats and 1 dog. I got 2 of the cats on the same day, and all the others seperately. There has always been an adjustment period- anywhere from 1-6 months each. It seems long, but it will get better with time. Just be patient, and show each of them lots of love.
    emslala

Answer by emslala at 3:31 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• my cat cocoa i had her for 13 long years and we had many cats in and out of the home in her life. She would always be very cross with me and would not be friendly to the new cat but after a few weeks she was the same old cocoa and just as cuddley as ever. Its completley normal for your cat to react this way. Be patient and just be extra nice to your kittty even if she doesnt want anything to do with you atm she will be ok :P
    Steffanny

Answer by Steffanny at 1:52 AM on Oct. 3, 2008

• Thanks everyone for your answers. Let me start off by saying that I took both kitties off the streets because they were strays and I will not let them be out door kitties again. And I am now glad to report that as I type this the two cats, Gypsie and TipToes are both playing. (No hissing, no growling and no swiping at each other in a mean way.) They are chasing each other back and forth around the house and I did catch Gypsie cleaning Tiptoe when I got up this morning, it was very cute to witness that. (lol) So I'm thinking the adjustment period might be over.
    SitaStJames

Answer by SitaStJames at 8:07 AM on Oct. 3, 2008