I have an eight year old daughter who is a wreck when it comes to clothing. She can't decide what to wear and ends up putting on several outfits and becomes frustrated, as do I. I have tried picking out five outfits on the weekend and putting them in a daily organizer. I have tried to put outfits together on hangers so all she has to do is grab one. Help!

My daughter can be a drama queen. She knows how to push my buttons. I have actually thought about taking all of her clothes out of her closet and not allowing her to make choices, but that seems rather harsh. She will fuss about a thread, a tag, the shirt is too long, it's too short. It goes on and on.

Victoria10369

Asked by Victoria10369 at 8:31 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I went through the same thing last year with my daughter (who was 8 as well). I used a M-F organizer and I chose her outfits for her. Otherwise, we would never make it out of the house in the mornings! She fussed about it every now and then, but I set my foot down and eventually she gave up.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 8:34 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I use bedtime as a tool to make mornings better; for example - if my seven (8 next month) year old drags around in the AM, I tell him he is obviously not getting enough sleep and needs to have his bedtime moved forward. Works like magic - I might tell her that she HAS to pick an outfit THE EVENING before, and if there is drama the next morning, clearly she is too tired and her bedtime needs to be earlier...or TV off earlier...or something that matters to her more than drama about what she is wearing to school. My faves are earlier bedtime, less TV, more "quiet reading time" to keep you calm :) They feel like they are making choices, but I am basically providing more of a consequence than they want to risk for fussing over something.
    azfostermom

Answer by azfostermom at 10:33 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My girls aren't old enough yet -- but I have several nieces that do the same thing. What their parents did was to buy the M-F organizer and let the girls pick out the 5 outfits that go in there. They can switch days between the five (with the exception of picture day or any other special outfit day) but they must wear all those outfits and those alone. Once they were given limited choices, it made it easier. They still had some control, but their parents limited it. I hope that helps!
    Anonymous