why not wait for natural labor to begin?

I've never been overdue- but it seems that I see a lot of posts where inductions are scheduled right away. Sometimes on the due date.
why induce? I'm sure the baby is going to come out one way or another.
so why would doctors be in such a rush? seems like it would be best just to let the baby stay put for as long as possible-
can anyone shed some light?

ItsMe89

Asked by ItsMe89 at 5:00 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• When I was pregnant with my son (he's 8) the word induction was NEVER mentioned to me. With my daughter, it was brought up at my 37 week appointment!!! (I was 37 weeks1day) They literally said, for the convenience and to guarantee I wouldn't be in on the weekend. Well, sucks to be them, I refused!. That was on a Wednesday I think and I was up at 1am that Sunday morning in labor...My biggest regret was not talking to my SIL about it when they offered her an induction. Her body/baby wasn't ready. So after 14 hours of pitocin (with ONE 30 minute break from it) they gave her a csection because she wasn't dialating. I did speak up with my cousin and she thankfully decided NOT to be induced, she had her baby Tuesday. If it is not medically necessary then please give your babies more time. I promise, you won't be pregnant forever. Being overdue (42 weeks) and other medical reasons is a total different story.
    sheena696

Answer by sheena696 at 6:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I had to be induced due to Gestational Diabete's. I wasn't given the option to have natural non-induced labor.. sad.. I wish I did
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My doctor, with #1, wanted me to induce...I declined and basically got that he wanted it done so I wouldn't go into labor over the weekend. He didn't say that of course. he said 'Well, if you haven't gone into labor by Tuesday we will want to run some more test but I doubt you'll make it to Monday.' WTH? If you're so sure I won't make it to Monday why induce me on Friday? Because you didn't want to deal with it on Sunday...guess when I went into labor. :oD
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Oh the reason, because with G.D. the baby could get too big and would increase the chances of the baby having issues also with waiting past their date
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I was 6 days late and they finally induced me! I couldn't wait I was so glad to get induced!

Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My sister had to be induced. Her water broke, but labor did not start.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:09 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My ob induced because the size of the baby seemed to be getting too big. Turned out he was only 7.9 and was born 4 days early but everything worked out ok
    HuskerMommy08

Answer by HuskerMommy08 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I work in L&D right now and some of our Dr's will do it if over due, abnormal stress tests, mother's medical conditions, Gestational Diabetes (baby could get to big and cause both mother and baby problems), holiday weekend, scheduling (as in Dr has a ton of C-secs scheduled/ or we have one that needed to be some where at a certain time! She wasn't there long), baby's medical condition those are just a few at the top of my head. I was induced with my first at exactly 36wks due to my heart condition and ds stress test having late decel's.
    babyblue21

Answer by babyblue21 at 5:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I think it is mainly done for convenience of the doctors and patients don't have much patience any more. When I had my children, it was not an option, and there were very, very few problems, unlike today when so many babies get in distress and end up having to be delivered by c-sections. That means longer recovery time for moms and more trauma for the babies. It's much better to wait until the baby and your body are ready for birth.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• brandi..i was going on 10 days past due and they were going to take me in but my water broke the night before...they still had to induce me though because i wasnt dialating at all...then finally after going through all the hellish labor and getting induced and finally ready to push i have to do an emergency csec because his heart rate starts dropping. (cord got wrapped around his neck)...i honestly believe it was because the meds they gave me to induce.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2010