What is a good pet for a 2 year old?

That doesn't cost too much in maintenance. I know if they get sick or whatever that is different.

fairyinabubble

Asked by fairyinabubble at 5:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Pets

• Beta Fish or a Goldfish ...very easy to maintain. Fun to watch and fun to add cute little objects to decorate the tank. They like to sit and watch the fish swim...my daughter squeals with delight when she sees a fish tank.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• As long as you realize that any pet you get for a 2 year old is really your pet, not the child's, it doesn't matter too much. Choose a pet that you are willing to take care of and that will be able to interact safely with your child.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 5:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• A stuffed rabbit??
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:09 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• a dog. =)
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 5:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• a cat maybe a hermit crab or a fish
    megan1089

Answer by megan1089 at 5:06 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I personally think a 2 they may be too young for many pets. But a fish would be good. They have to remember to feed it once a day.
    NHRachel

Answer by NHRachel at 5:06 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• a fish! my dd loves to watch the 6 goldfish swimming around int he tank!
    mommylisar

Answer by mommylisar at 5:06 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My question is what is the expectation that you have for your 2yr old? Are you looking for a pet that they can play with and cuddle with or just something simple? My recommendation for a two year old would be a fish that they can simply watch and feed.
    Although I did have dogs when my children were little and that worked out well too. When I was growing up we had bunnies but they are a lot of work, especially if you're letting them run free in the house like we did, but they definitely enjoyed cuddling.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 5:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Fish. A wide bowl (need lots of surface area for gas exchange), some rocks, and two gold fish is cheap and easy to maintain. No filter needed, no big setup. Just need to make sure the bowl is widest at the point you intend to fill to with water.

Clean once a week.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 5:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I'd say a Pillow Pet. Two year olds can be rough on animals.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:19 PM on Jul. 15, 2010