How do I teach my 19 month old to use an inside voice? He screams all the time. (not cries he isn't upset he just likes to be noisy) Any ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Talk to him softly. Don't try to yell over him. If you talk softly, he'll have to stop yelling to hear you, then he'll be able to imitate you. But be patient. When they discover volume control, it takes time to learn that there is soft as well as loud.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 5:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• GL...mine's almost 2 and i'm working on it. like the PP said, talk softly. when he gets older it'll get better. my son is 3 and can talk softly when i remind him to. when he's excited though it's hard, but reminding him a couple times he gets better. it's only really hard when he's upset about something, like he didn't get what he wanted/ his way. that's when he'll have a fit. my DH tries to yell over them, which i totally understand, sometimes i get so frustrated i do yell over them, but i always have to remind him and myself that won't shut them up lol
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My son does the same thing. He screaches like nothing else.
    I just have to remind him that he needs to be quieter. Once I remind him he usually doesn't do it again, but there are those days when he does it over and over. Just remind him that that's not appropriate. As they get older they use it less. Generally.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2010