My SO is leaving and I don't know how to use a lawnmower...

Is it hard to do? I've never mowed a lawn and he isn't coming back. I have like an acre of grass and a push mower. Should I just pay someone to do it?

allfiller

Asked by allfiller at 5:22 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Home & Garden

• No time like the present to learn! Else, just throw up a post on Craig's List and you'll probably have several lawn care companies vying for the business within 30 min. I would NOT mention that you're a single gal living alone.

It's not hard to do, but it's helpful to have someone show you first so you understand the safety stuff, what goes where, etc.
    BuddyRoo

Answer by BuddyRoo at 5:24 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• No! All you have to do is pull down on the long (colored) metal bar just in front of the handle, and yank the pull cord the full length as hard as possible--might have to do a couple of times. Oh, and make sure you have gas in it! Just unscrew the cap that has the word gas on it, and fill using the pull out nozzle of the red gas can. I mow our lawn all the time--we have 2 acres--1 1/2 of which needs to be mowed at least once a week.

Now, you're not supposed to , but I use a little piece of duct tape to hold the starter bar against the top (push bar) handle, so I don;t have to stop the engine--if you let go of the pull bar, you'll have to start the mower again.

mowing the lawn

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:26 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• for an Acre?? yes, pay someone if you can - otherwise push the choke in 2-3 times, then hold on and pull the handle
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Its actually very simple...I enjoy it...when my dh LETS me do it that is. I'm not allowed to touch the precious grass follicles,lol.
    Just figure out how to start it and go. If theres someone that can show ya how to do it, that would be easier but its not that hard to figure out on your own.
    If you have the money and dont really want to mow the lawn, I'm sure theres a teen out there that would appreciate the job!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:26 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Wow.... If I didn't know how to run the mower, rider or push I would be living in a jungle...lol I also use the weedeater, hedge trimmers, shovel, fertilizer, tend to a garden, power washer, check the oil, clean the filters.. My Hubby's gone A LOT with his job so I have to take care of things, every woman should know how!!!!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:41 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I have NEVER used one either. And don't plan on it either. I just pay someone if my DH can't or won't do it... Around here it's not hard to find a teen who is willing to cut the lawn for next to nothing...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:24 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I agree with sabrinambowen, but I would still try to learn how to do it myself, assuming I was physically able.
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• An acre and a push mower? It's not that push mowers are hard, but an acre is a lot for a push mower. Ride on mowers are nice and easy to use as well. If you currenlty cannot afford to upgrade to a ride on mower and are willing to put in the time, I'd say do it yourself. I, myself, actually enjoy mowing. It's gives me thinking time. I put in my iPod and off I go.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• If you can afford to pay someone I would. I hate to mow the grass. It's not hard to do but a pain in the rump!!

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• reminds me of a day when my dad was supposed to show me how to pump gas for the first time. he could pout like a 2 year old!
    he found a reason to say 'fine! I'm not going to show you how to pump the gas then!' figuring I would beg him to show me.
    heck no! I drove down to the gas station and asked the guy to show me how to do it myself!
    I would put in my own oil too- I wondered why they always laughed when they say me checking the oil, putting it in, then checking my tires and airing them up.
    it was because my mom would always come and get them to do it for her! :) she got mad when she found out I did it myself- told me I was making her look silly!

you'll work these things out, best of luck with your new life as a free woman!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2010