Why are the disabled are invisible?

My hubby is disabled from a stroke. He's right side paralyzed and has aphasia (unable to speak or comprehend much). We went to Walmart. In order to get him into my truck I need to park along side the curb. In the process of getting him into the truck we slipped with him landing on top of me. I needed help. For about 5 minutes we were on the ground with people (including strong able bodied men) just walking by pretending they didn't see or hear us. Finally a woman came to our aid.

lizard111

Asked by lizard111 at 5:26 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Health

• I'm so sorry this happened to you!!!! How rude, to say the least!!! If I would have been there I would have helped you!! and yelled at the stupid (&^$#^(# that didn't stop!!!

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 5:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It's not just disabled people that get ignored. A lot of people will ignore anyone in need. It's sad that society has come to this.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 5:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It's unfortnate, but part of the problem is that some people are sue happy and will sue someone who helps and winds up hurting. Or there are other people who fake having a problem so that they can take advantage of those who help them.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:31 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• may have been afraid you'd sue them if they helped you.

I'm sorry this happened to you, but it happens!
    Anonymous

• I would have helped you if I were there. I am sorry that happened to you.that just sucks how they acted.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 5:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Thats just sad. I'm sorry that happened to you guys. People are so into just themselves anymore.
    Once, I was driving down a street and happend to catch out of the corner of my eye, and elderly man with a cane trip and fall onto a curb going into a store. I had to turn around in the next nearest parking lot...come all the way back ...and STILL noone had come to his aid. People even pulled up next to him, parked and walked pst him right into the store!
    I was like whatttttttt??? The guy I was on the cell phone with at the time that I seen the man fall yelled at me for turning around, said it was none of my business. Forget that..if I see someone fall like that or get hurt..it IS my business.
    So anyway, I struggled to get this guy to his feet, he was at least 6 ft tall..I'm 5 '4...and not a single persn stopped to help.
    Its distgusting.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 5:34 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Because people aren't nice anymore... I find that more and more everyday. It's really very sad, I'm sorry you went through that.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:35 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• This is true,and when they aren't invisible people seem to think they can openly stare and make rude comments about the person's mental or physical state. My autistic son has been treated badly by folks. One day I was at Goodwill and there was this lady ahead of us with her teenaged son who has Downs. I've seen him before,he works there. He saw that I was wearing blue and orange and we got into a conversation about the Bears. This lady behind me clucked her tongue and remarked to her friend about how she doesn't see why I'd bother talking to him,its not like he even understands the conversation. The thing is,I'm sure he and his mom heard this woman say this.Some people are so mean!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:47 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Thank you all for your input. I guess people tend to be "sue happy" these days...didn't think about that. Thank you to those who would have helped...too bad you weren't there!
    lizard111

Comment by lizard111 (original poster) at 5:38 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Our culture raises us to ignore differences and/or difficulties. We learn from our parents to avert our eyes when something "abnormal" is seen. This also is true when people drive by and see an automobile pulled offf. They almost never call the police because "someone else will do it, and what if they dont actually need help"
    JacyB

Answer by JacyB at 6:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2010