What do kids learn in 4 year old kindergarden?

My daughter is not going to attend 4k this year. I dont want her to be behind the other kids that are going to be in 5 year old kindergarden next year. I am planning to kinda homeschool her this year so she wont be behind. My question is what should I be teaching her so she will be on the same level as other 5 year olds next year?

NicNat8505

Asked by NicNat8505 at 5:49 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ABC's numbers colors shapes and things of that nature. Connect the dots are always fun!
    marriedmomto5

Answer by marriedmomto5 at 5:50 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• The main reason for 4k is a chance for socialization to occur if the child has not been in childcare already.
    mrs.coop

Answer by mrs.coop at 5:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Alphabet knowledge (letter identification and sounds, writing all the letters)
    Identifying and writing her name
    rhyming words
    counting (identifying numbers and writing them)

Read to her a lot and do lots of crafts...you can find fun printable activities on line for free...just google what ever it is you want to work on that week. Our 4K does a letter and number of the week...you could focus all your activities on a letter each week. Enjoy and Have Fun!

MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:02 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• In PA it's not just for socialization...we have state standards for preschools (however the preschools are not mandatory yet...heck, 5 year old K isn't mandatory yet either!)
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 6:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• my son is gonna be in kindergarden in the fall and when i registered him they gave usa packet of the things they're expected to know. basically it's the abc's, counting to 20 and recognizing the numbers, basic shapes (circle, square, triangle, rectangle), 8 basic colors, write their name and read their name. they also gave a list of 20 sight words they would like them to know but that is not a 'must'. they are also expected to have experience cutting and using a glue stick. you could always call the school district and ask what their requirements are. they could mail you the guidelines. my son didn't go to pre-school either so i was nervous too, but imo it's all pretty easy things that he knew already. we're just working on a few of the sight words
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:27 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My son preschool pre-k program(he starts next month) they teach the planets, evolution of a caterpillar, count by 10's, count to 100, learn to read, 25 sight words,etc. His 3-4 year old class taught him to write his name, spell his name out loud, recognize and write all letters, count to 50, days of the week, months, recite memory verses, brushed up on colors/shapes-most kids knew them already, etc.  Whatever he does at school I do at home. His teacher evaluated him at the end of last year and she said he was fully read for kindergarten(according to the private school we are sending him to) between school and my husband and I working with him at home.  But he can't go till he is 5. They also still continue to help follow a routine, sit quietly, wait turns, share, etc.  All very important when starting kinder.

Needless to say it is so much MORE than socializing. 

Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 1:10 AM on Jul. 16, 2010