Hiring a maid/housecleaner

We've had two different women in (one through a service) and I didn't feel very satisfied after either one. They were very nice, and I appreciated them, but it just didn't feel worth the money to me. It's not because I'm Type A about my house, because I'm definitely not - which is why I want to hire someone!

How do you make the most of a maid? What are reasonable expectations for me to have? How can I make it work better for us before we hire someone on a regular basis?

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 5:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Well, I used to clean houses... I worked first for an individual who does house cleaning and then for a cleaning service. The cleaning service was just about useless - they didn't move anything to dust around, no windows or glass and only used a mop & broom... There was NO way for the home owner to control what got done or when. Now, the individual I worked with (who happens to be my mother) does a much more indepth job. What and how things get done in the house is up to the homeowner and NOT the "company." If you want the floors done by hand, they are, if you want windows or glass done, they are, and so on... I always suggest looking for an individual rather than going with a service company like Molly Maid or something. Plus, they tend to cost less money in addition to doing a better job.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Like spammyann said.....list specifically what you require them to do, and how you want it cleaned.....then your rate.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 6:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Also, make sure you know what you want done and how. If you don't mind them using "swiffer" then don't worry about the how, but if you actually want them cleaning the floors well, make sure you state that right off the bat. Also, if you want specific cleaners used make sure you either have them or ask the cleaner if they are willing to use them.

The more detail you are willing to give cleaners the better the job will be done - it's better that you are anal about everything rather than not get the job done well.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I used to clean houses as well and you will pay for good service. The company I worked for expected us to clean the house top to bottom including blinds, ceiling fans, trinkets, baseboards, organize, change sheets on all beds and make them neat with a specific fold at the end. HOWEVER it is just courteous to pick up before they get there. Unless you have a MAID service, your dishes should be done and your house should be picked up. You should not expect laundry to be done with a regular cleaning service. Check references always, but you'll get more of what you want out of a private business:)

ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 6:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I was also going to say 'Be Specific'. Not just about 'Hey I want you to clean the fridge' (just an example off the top of my head, I'm not sure if a maid service actually DOES that) but more along the lines of 'When the fridge is being cleaned, the drawers need to come out to be washed as well'.

So maybe a good start would be to make a list of the things you want done (very detailed) and if you have any preferenace in HOW to do them, and with what. And then, when you interview services or cleaning people you have something to go off of- and so do they!
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 17, 2010