how do i teach my 5 yr old that there is a time and place for his "behavior"..sorry so long.

I allow my son to totally be himself..i play and cut up with him..probably have even encouraged him to do some of the little things he does and say some of the things...so i can't REALLY be mad at him. I know i am the one to blame. I do let him know when enough is enough and if he is being disrespectful and he seems to understand that. What he doesnt seem to understand is when "not" to do things or say things. Like in public or around certain family.

example today: He says he doesnt want to eat at wendys because he doesnt like the chicken nuggets.
I get up to order and i turn to ask him if he wants nuggets (cuz thats what he always orders) hes says "i don't like the nugget, DUH"
my grandma looks at me and said "i would pop him right in the mouth, how embarrassing"

thats just US though..i know he shouldnt be "duhing" me in public and he does do it often and usually i don't even realize it...how do i stop him?

shay1130

Asked by shay1130 at 6:19 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I'd just explain to him when its acceptable and when its not. Sounds like he's a very bright and given the relationship you have I'm sure he'd understand.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 8:31 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Tell your grandma he's your kid and that's just how ya'll are. You can't expect a 5 year old to be completely different in front of some people. And if his behavior doesn't bother you don't worry about it.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 6:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I would set him down and plain out tell him that certain things are NOT to be done or said around certain people. . . simple as that. . .
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 6:27 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Well then I guess you can try explaining to him that certain things are OK with mommy only. But if he doesn't get it you'll have to stop them completely if you're worried about school.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 6:37 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I agree with Fairyinabubble...however I understand your concerns about kindergarten. Does he only talk to you like that or does he do it to others? If its just to you then I wouldn't worry about it. Maybe you could explain that to him - that even though you understand him and know what he is like, other people will not like it if he talks to them in the same way.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 6:40 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• well, i got to thinking about it because he is going to kindergarten this year...he didnt have any problems in pre k..but i know they don't take that too seriously. I just hope he isnt a smart ass to other people and gets in any trouble at school.
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 6:31 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• he talks to anyone who encourages it...me, dh, even my grandma encourages it..(she didnt like the idea of him doing it in public) ..my in laws..
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 6:43 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• my grandma woud say she doesnt encourage it but she does and she would put up with it too. She was only embarrassed because there were people all around us.
    shay1130

Comment by shay1130 (original poster) at 6:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• At 5 it is very confusing to him that you tollerate disrespect at home, but not in public. If you want him to respect you in public, you need to be teaching him to respect you at home. Playing and cutting up is one thing, but telling his mother "duh" is super disrespectful and will cause him to get into trouble a lot once he starts school.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2010