What are things you do. . .

We are a "Wiccan/Pagan/Asatru" family. . . I don't lay complete claim to any of the labels. My question, and yes I know there are groups for this. . . I am not dumb, is what are things you do to teach your child(ren) how you believe? And how do you teach that it is NOT all about "Magicks?"

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:34 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well my DD is 2 1/2 and I am really just learning myself. I plan on having my MIL teach her everything. It is her blood line and she should learn from her grandma. Anyway I would suggest for you is have an age approp[rate talk. You didn't say how old you'r kids are and you're anon so I don't know if you're at the level you can post an answer anon but if you want to PM me maybe I can get intouch with my MIL and be of some help but it would help if I knew how old your LOs are.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 6:47 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• We aren't formally teaching anything to DS until he's older. He has asked about honoring the moon, and I'm not ready to let him join in a full on blot yet, so I've told him we can make bread for it as a way of saying thanks for our food. As a result, he thinks magic is what's in Harry Potter, not about Odin. I'm reconstructionist, though, so I don't have to worry about the whole Wiccan/magick aspect of it, either. I don't read runes, which is the only thing he'd probably see that approximated it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:47 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I read the myths (Celtic and Norse) to my children, they've seen me honor my gods, we talk about the Noble Virtues, and we've had conversations about what happens when you die, about the gods, God, etc. I've also talked about how food heals, how herbs heal, and they have learned a little about that just from being in the kitchen with me. It's mostly just as it comes up in everyday conversation, casual moments. Magic hasn't come up a lot, although I've mentioned to them about energy and that we can use it in the world. I guess it would depend on your specific practices and beliefs, and the ages and interest of your children.
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 6:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My DD is about to be 7 and she is very enthusiastic about our beliefs. She has her own alter and all. . . it is very special to her. There are great sites online that can help with child friendlies. . . http://www.proudtobepagan.com/kidshome.htm here is one my DD just loves!
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 6:53 PM on Jul. 15, 2010