How often does a pregnancy w/ twins result in a c-section?

Moms who had twins, did you go vaginally or w/ a section? WHY? Did you get to choose or was it doctors orders?

pinkcicle709

Asked by pinkcicle709 at 6:38 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• vaginally, because both babies were head down.
    jreneei

Answer by jreneei at 6:40 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I had my twins vaginally at 34 weeks and 2 days. The day before i had them, one was breech but by the next afternoon they were both head-down.. So you just never know. They change positions all the time so you won't actually know for sure until it's time to deliver. Oh, and my doctor was not very supportive of me wanting to have a vaginal delivery. He kept telling me not to get my hopes up and saying that it was very unlikely that I would have them vaginally. He actually told me that 75% of twins are delivered by c-section... and I'm pretty sure that's a load of crap. LoL. Well, congratulations and good luck to you!
    JenMarie2007

Answer by JenMarie2007 at 6:57 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My mother-in-law delivered her twins vaginally. However, she had the twins back in 1993 and I guess ultrasounds weren't as common then or something. Well either way, she went into delivery not knowing she was having twins and after Baby A came out they were wondering why the placenta wasn't coming so they did an ultrasound and saw that there was another baby in there.
    cjsjellybean

Answer by cjsjellybean at 7:09 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I could Google the statistics, I don't know that one off-hand...

But I do know that if you want to better your chances to avoid unnecessary surgical delivery, don't hire a surgeon to attend you. ;-)
    I have a lot of midwife friends, they attend breech, twin, and breech-twin births at homes or birth centers. They save cesareans for real emergencies.

I encourage you to check the stats on the care providers around you. Discover what will help you avoid an unnecessary cesarean.

Good luck!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:22 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• it depends on the dr. just bc you're carrying twins doesn't mean that you will need a c-section. i would talk to your ob/gyn about it and ask them about how many twins they have delivered and how many were vaginal vs. c-section. and the reason why for the c-sections. that is how i would make my decision as to what dr. i would be seeing. twins or not, you and your dr. should be on the same page with everything. gl!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• You are at a higher risk for a c-section, but doesn't mean its automatic. At the birthing class I took the other day, one person told us she delivered her first twin vaginally, but the second was having problems and was delivered by c-section. She got to experience both.
    LittleD96

Answer by LittleD96 at 9:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• i agree that a lot more of it depends on who you choose as your dr/midwife.
    this video is awesome! and acc to it, 60% of twins are born by c-section

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7E-wULAaD50
    Stefanie83

Answer by Stefanie83 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My sister-in-law just had twin boys in May she had the vaginal one was head down and the other was breeched
    babycakeschris

Answer by babycakeschris at 10:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2010