need idea's for halloween ...grandson with severe nut allergy...everything has or is processed in a plant that processes nuts

My littlest grandson showed signs of allergies this summer...found out that his worst is nuts....peanutbutter is out of a lot of houses because just having a little contact with someone with it on their clothes, or the protine on them can cause real problems, and a epi shot, and a trip to the hospital. Now we also must read the lables on everything we buy including soaps, cleaning supplies and just everything. Candies are really scary. If they don't have nuts, they are processed in a plant that processes nuts. And we can't have any in my house as I have him here two days a week and sometimes more....Please ladies....I need ideas.....HELP

Dee_Dee_15

Asked by Dee_Dee_15 at 8:53 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Just buy candy that doesn't have nuts or the proteins from processing. When he goes trick or treating have some candy to replace the candy he can't have so he doesn't lose out.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 9:00 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My daughter has a peanut allergy. When she was younger, we wouldn't take her trick or treating, because she'd get stuff she couldn't eat (plus, we didn't really know a lot of people out here). Anyhoo, we started doing our own thing in the house. DDs would get in costumes and I'd hide stuff for them to find - stickers, spider rings, treats she could eat. We'd also bake and decorate cookies in the shapes of pumpkins and ghosts. One year, we went around to several houses and gave them candy so the girls could go to at least a few houses to get the experience. This way, we knew the candy was safe. This year we're going to a party w/ trick or treating afterward and she understands that she can get all the candy she wants, but she's not allowed to keep it (we'll have my DH bring it to work w/ him and give it to the other employees).

Not sure if that's helpful or not!
    swrockhead

Answer by swrockhead at 9:05 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I cannot remember the brand of candy-I think possibly Hershey's-you'd have to call their # on the back of a package to find out for certain... But one of those candy places uses a totally different area for processing candy w/nuts in vs. the kind w/out any in it..... I remember this because we had to be careful about cross contamination and what not w/nuts w/two boys that were at the daycare I worked for-and I had one of those boys in my classroom until I moved to the infant room!
    MR777

Answer by MR777 at 10:00 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Hershey kisses, tootsie rolls, tootsie pops, are ok but make sure you ALWAYS read the pkgs because sometimes they'll change how they manufacture stuff - and sometimes miniatures are processed on different equipment than regular size. 99% of the time Gummy Bears are off limits, too - so you need to read everything. M&M products are all off limits - most chocoloate is. Also - Toll House morsels for baking are processed w/ nuts - so you should make sure you read those AND any of those cut and bake cookies.

Also - check out this resource...http://www.peanutallergy.com/alerts-and-recalls.html

AND if you want to receive alerts about foods that have been recalled - you can sign up to get e-mail updates from th is site: http://www.foodallergy.org/

swrockhead

Answer by swrockhead at 3:19 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• hope this helps although it's a lil different situation. one of my lil cousins has diabeties...so my grandma always has lil packs of chips or popcorn for him to take home. i've seen ppl hand out mini packs of microwave popcorn...that's also healthier. i dunno tho how if so popcorn relates to peanut allergies?!
    gracie23

Answer by gracie23 at 12:26 AM on Oct. 2, 2008

• Just curios why are gummy bears off limits.
    Jessyrn

Answer by Jessyrn at 2:51 PM on Dec. 5, 2008