Update on sex ed in kindergarten question! Please read if you want to know the plan for our kids! adult content

Okay went to the school where my son will be starting kindergarten, by some of your posts I thought maybe I was over reacting1 (For those of you who did not read my previous question I left it open) They have just decided to do this, and the class will be taught by a nurse, they will cover what correct names for genitila are ( no problem with me) how long it takes a baby to grow (no prob) and also what exactly sex is and how it is performed ( BIG Prob) what HIV and AIDS is how it is caught including needle use (BIG PROB) and good touch bad touch (no problem),,, also perhaps but undecided about other sexually transmitted diseases,,, ugg I guess my point is shouldn't I be able to decide WHEN MY CHILD learns this stuff? Thanks for any comments and help,, I was suprised how many moms thought this was okay for a 5 year old,,, fox news montana weighs in on sex ed for kindergartners,, also google obama plans for sex ed in K! than

kimigogo

Asked by kimigogo at 7:06 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• um... that's insane... I'm pretty open but that is WAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY too much info for a little kid. esp. the needles things... now they'll be extra scared about going to the dr. (at least kids like my ds)....
    body parts .. fine. Good touch bad touch -- maaaaybe... anything more than that ... not at that age.
    Tell about the baby inside and takes 9 months okay maybe but I think that at that age anything more than generalized overview is too much.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 8:52 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• the early the better, they are curious even before this point with the media being oversexed, it's time to teach and not be surprised when children learn through experience because we were too dense to teach them
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Can't a parent opt their child out? Why don't they just do that if they don't want them to be taught these things?
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:09 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• LMFAO! Kindergarteners wont understand, and they arent going to care.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 7:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• ugh telling a 5 year old how sex is preformed! their still babies.. they will think its a game and try to re-enact wht they were told or shown! no matter how much you say dont do this their not mature enough to understand yet.. i think it could cause children to start having sex at a younger age! where i live in hammond indiana 11+ aged kids are already having sex and im sure they are in other areas to. im just saying maybe they should take it up to maybe the 3rd grade if it still has to be younger children..

and deff do not tell them or show them anything about needles cos same concept they might start poking their selves or something because their not mature enough to understand!
    Rachelxbby

Answer by Rachelxbby at 7:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• i think kids are going to share stories about things at any age, that just what happens when you place them with other children.

i would opt out.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 7:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• This is part of the reason why we home school. We control the info & the timing of when the info is taught & we definitely teach our children sex from a moral point of view & how it differs from the worldly view of it.
    ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 9:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• for a 5 year-old that is just too much info.. or it was when I was a kid.. this day and age i am honestly not sure. When i was a kid they had the parents sign saying it was okay to teach the kids if you have a problem with it you could just send the note back asking them to remove your child from the class while sex ed was being taught.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 7:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I agree with you, that is just way too young and absalutly NOT okay.

looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 7:09 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• wow that is crazy!! I agree with them learning the things that you said you are okay with but for the others, there just isn't a need for it at that age.
    cjsjellybean

Answer by cjsjellybean at 7:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2010