Planting an herb garden mid-summer?

I'm in New England, so we plant in mid-May usually - that's after danger of last frost. This year, I had prepped my little area, but then had my baby in the middle of the month, a couple weeks before I expected and before I got anything planted. It's been neglected since then - it's all weedy, and the only things that are supposed to be there are the perennials (oregano, parsley) and they have grown straggly, stemmy, and wild looking because I wasn't trimming or deadheading them at all. It's starting to depress me a little LOL! What would you do to salvage a kitchen herb garden in the middle of summer? As long as I'm not starting from seed, it should be fine -- I should be able to just get the potted herbs and transfer them, right? Any tips are appreciated!

Collinsky

Asked by Collinsky at 7:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Home & Garden

• You might be able to find the plants on sale now. They might be root bound but it would be worth trying since you enjoy it so much. I would assume they will need extra water. Worth a try! Call around and see who still has some. Good luck.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:35 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I don't see why you couldn't grow some herbs from seed. People grow them indoors year round when they are grown indoors. But outdoors you could do either which I think would work just fine.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• You still have plenty of time to do just fine! Just don't be afraid to cut back all that's scraggly so that it can become full and strong! Good Luck!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Check the farmers almanac planting calendar and follow it. It works.

Cut back the scraggle on the pruning day. Repot on the planting day. Compost and water are your friends.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Even from seed, you can do OK now, but expect to need to do extra watering, since the plants will be just forming their root systems in the hot weather. If it makes you happy, go for it!
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:26 AM on Jul. 16, 2010