How can I get my son to sleep more than 5 hours or more?

My son is 5 months old and sleeps with me at night. I put him to sleep around 9:30 each night and he always wakes up about 1:00 to have a bottle. Around 3:00, he starts to move, turn and whines with his eyes closed. I don't know what to do so I nurse him more. This will put him to sleep for another 2 hours. He then starts to move and whines again. I don't know if he's hungry or what? Do all babies sleep like this? Moving around a lot or what? He used to sleep 5 hours at night about a month ago, then he changed. He can no longer sleep more than 3 hours without making a sound. Any suggestion?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I cosleep with my baby. They do wake up and move around just like we do. My baby does the same thing. Sometimes she wants a new position, sometimes she checks for me, and sometimes she just wants the nipple because she's hungry, thirsty, or maybe had a bad dream and wants comfort. It's all normal.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Rice cereal in a bottle IS a choking hazard because it can clog the nipple because it makes the formula more viscous and thus the baby may suck really hard and the bottle suddenly unclogs.

Babies can't even digest grains. Rice cereal also is overloaded with iron and a formula fed baby already gets plenty and a breastfed baby's iron absorption would be compromised from it. too much iron causes constipation and undigested grains tend to make gas and poop. It comes out undigested. It can also have the opposite affect of making babies wakeful. Not to mention that babies should eat a lot, rice cereal takes up space making them take in less calories and may interfere with their ability to determine fullness. Studies have been conducted on this and that's why the reccomendations are finally moving away from giving babies rice or grains.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• DON"T put rice in his bottle! He'll choke! Geez! You breastfeed anyway,didn't you say?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:43 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Are you breastfeeding or bottle feeding? I couldn't tell from your question.

A baby is physiologically designed to sleep differently than an older child or an adult -- it's important for their brain development. For a baby, "sleeping through the night" means 5 hours at a stretch, so your son is already doing that. He will begin to sleep longer and longer stretches as he matures and his sleep cycles become more like an adults, when he no longer needs so much REM sleep. Trying to short-circuit his natural sleep cycles isn't doing him any favors, and there is no harm in giving him a feeding at 3 am. He'll have different needs soon enough!
    Collinsky

Answer by Collinsky at 7:54 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Five hours is considered a sleep through. The VAST majority of babies wake every 3-4 hours on average for needed feeds and/or peeing. They wake more during growth spurts, teething, and new milestones. In the first year, sleep patterns change a lot and a baby may sleep a long stretch one week during a growth spurt and the next wake frequently. All normal. Sleep patterns don't really settle into a more mature pattern until age three or four. Some babies sleep a lot in the first half of the year, but end up waking more later. There is nothing "bad" about a baby that doesn't sleep long stretches of more than four to six hours...they aren't bad sleepers as some say. They are quite normal. It's actually we adults who have forgotten how to sleep effectively because we watch the clock too much.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:02 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• also my son moves in his sleep to and once in a while he might make a cry sound but he is still sleeping. i think its normal
    megan1089

Answer by megan1089 at 7:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Put him in the crib, and if he makes noise check on him, and leave him alone if hes ok. If hes crying, feed him, and put him back lol
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 7:40 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• also if you are uncomfortable about the cereal in the bottle, (which i did with my dd who is now 5, she didn't choke either, she was around 5months) you can try to spoon feed him some after you bottlefeed or nurse him.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 7:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• butterflyblue19...give it a rest, everyone knows when talking about a baby and you say rice, you are talking about rice cereal! OMG no need to be so rude!
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• nickellmomof2: You'd be surprised at what things people have suggested putting into bottles. It wasn't rude, just a wrong impression.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2010