why am I always hungry 1 hour after eating spaghetti?

Meat, veggies, cheese pasta... you would think it would stick with you! I had 2 helpings even. I am always hungry after spaghetti! Why!?

But_Mommie

Asked by But_Mommie at 8:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Food & Drink

• same reason i'm always hungry 1 hour after eating chineese! LOL
    randerykah

Answer by randerykah at 8:09 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Spaghetti is a carb and carbs alone do not do a very good job of satisfying hunger long term. They best food to eat to keep full are foods that are rich in protein.
    azpreemiemom

Answer by azpreemiemom at 8:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• lol maybe the same reason i'm always hungry 1 hour after eating chineese! even if i am being greedy i still am hungry 1 hour later lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Carb overload... Try eating lots of veggies with it, as a side or in the sauce. Also switch to whole grain pasta, makes you feel fuller longer.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 8:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• because its so yummy and you subconciously want more? lol that is kind of weird.
    xmama_bellax

Answer by xmama_bellax at 8:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I have a daughter with that problem..lol. She has a bottomless pit for a stomach. Funny thing is her favorite food is spaghetti. One time we had pizza and she went back for seconds, thirds, fourths and and I kid you not was going to back for more and we were like " are you getting full yet"? and she was like really thinking abut it and she said, " I don't know" and at that point we said, " your done". She will do that at every meal so..since she can't control her portions on her own we have to help her out in that area lol.

I don't know why you are still hungry after eating two servings of spaghetti, maybe you have a bottomless pit too...lol. :)
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 8:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• the real reason is because spagetti alone is a carb which causes the body to produce more insulin and as a result it is broken down much faster than other food. it's always good to eat protein with your carbs in order to stay full
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 8:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Because the pasta has so many carbs - it causes the sugars in your body to go really high. When you feel hunger, it's actually caused by falling blood sugar levels (even if they aren't falling too low, the fact that they are coming down from being so high makes you feel that "hunger" feeling).

Answer by missanc at 8:26 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Agree with the above. I usually have salad with lots of different veggies as a side with spaghetti. I eat the salad first. Also I drink a glass of water before I eat. Maybe that will help.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Spaghetti is typically very high on the glycemic chart (makes your blood sugar jump really high after eating it). If you must have it, how about trying a good whole grain/wheat version (Barilla Plus is really good and doesnt taste much different) and along with the pasta you should have a protein and a fat (meatballs, sausage, or chicken w/ olive oil or butter drizzled on the pasta) Many people underestimate the power of a little bit of fat - it helps digestion slow down - same with protein.
    tavczakbabe

Answer by tavczakbabe at 11:15 AM on Jul. 16, 2010