Please... Please help me stay strong

My girl is a good girl. But recently sassy. I let a couple things slide... I knew I shouldnt have but she has never given me any trouble. Well she is really stepping up the sass game. She has had a sleep over planned and when she gets home from sports practice I know the right parental move would be to say no. Also to say no to her social plans tomorrow.... the weekend... Im still thinking about it... but knee jerk says to hit hard and really make an impression. I know her dad will go along with what ever I decided.

But honestly... I rather just let her go and no have to deal with that mouth tonight.

But I know that would just be poor parenting. And that is NOT the kind of woman I want to raise.

So mamas... help me be strong. Im feeling weak.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• You know what you need to do! And you're right, putting it off won't help anything - in fact, in the long run, not dealing with it will only make it worse. You can stay strong! You can!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 8:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• aww put your foot down. a stitch in time saves nine..... that means take care of it while it's still small or you'll have much more work to do if you just wait and wait. and you don't have to listen to her mouth about it.... send her to her room. i know it's hard to discipline your kids, but it's a necessary evil. you are doing what's best for her in the long run

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Was she warned about consequences on the sassy mouth? It might be 'obvious' to you and I, but to a teen who has never been any trouble the obvious needs to be stated. You need to tell her you let it slide once but no more. Explain to her exactly what consquences will be. I would give her a choice..she can go tonight..and not tomorrow..or no tonight and she can go tomorrow. If she throws a fit..she loses both.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:15 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Yep...use that tough love, otherwise she will start knowing exactly how to push your buttons to get what she wants. Say what you mean and mean what you say, so if you tell her there will be a certain consequence for something that she did..then you need to follow through. Good luck I know it's not easy.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 8:15 PM on Jul. 15, 2010