Should a guest ask what kind food will be serve in a birthday party?

My son's 2nd b-day will be celebrated in the park this Sunday. One of the guests asked me a week ago what kind of food I'll be serve. Today she sent me a message asking if I want her to bring a pasta salad. I felt a little upset since I had already talked about what I'll be serving anyway she insisted on bringing something. My answer was that I'm ok with everything for the party, but if she likes, she can bring her salad to her family.
Do you think is that ok for a guest to insist in bring food to a birthday party if wasn't requested?

P.S: I specified in the invitation that pizzas, snacks, cupcakes, ice cream and drinks will be served.

gigilu

Asked by gigilu at 8:09 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I think she was just trying to be nice. Just say no thank you everything is taking care of.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 8:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• its rude, but what can you do. She didn't have to tell you I guess. Maybe she thought your menu wasn't healthy enough. who knows...
    randerykah

Answer by randerykah at 8:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• It is odd~wonder if she has an agenda~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 8:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Maybe she was just trying to be nice and help! No reason to get annoyed at her wanting to help. Feeding everyone is quite a burden on the wallet. Why get irritated at someone wanting to help? It's not like she said "oh pizza, can't you do burgers?"
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 8:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Oh I just reread the question...I read it wrong. Yes it is strange and rude.
    Brandi300

Answer by Brandi300 at 8:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Maybe one of her kids is lactose intolerant. Either that or she's being controlling. Either way I think it's ok and you should have just said sure, thanks.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 8:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• asking what kind of food would be served is ok if it isn't already stated. . .obviously some people have food allergies and such. . . and asking if you would like her to bring something is ok too. . . but I wouldn't go as far as insisting. . . but it is the thought of kindness that counts. . . I would be ok with it.
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 8:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• sounds like she was just trying to be helpful. in her own sly underhanded annoying way.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• If your child has an allergy, the only way you can be sure they won't get sick at a party is by bringing something you know is safe for them to eat or by not letting them eat anything at all. My first response to her question would be if there was something in particular the child can't have. She might have been trying to work around an allergy/food rule without making a big deal of it.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 8:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I don't think it's rude at all...my friends and I always bring stuff to each others parties...even if it's not requested...it's just polite! If we don't bring some sort of food then we bring a dessert or beverage...my family is the same way...it's like rude if you don't bring something in my opinion!

I always have to bring food with me everywhere due to my son's food allergy. He is allergic to gluten so pizza or pasta salad wouldn't work for him.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 8:20 PM on Jul. 15, 2010