When sleep training... if she isn't crying do I still go in every few minutes or not?

I am Attempting to sleep train (in my way-which involves as little crying as possible-which most of the time isn't possible!) . Are you supposed to still go in to check on them if they are not crying? I am listening to her on the monitor and she will have quiet periods more often then crying, so do I still go in or wait? This always confuses me! Also, anyone else here sleep train for naps? I have got to break the habit somehow of putting her to sleep! I am a SAHM so I have created this monster! LOL (Btw, if it matters she is 8 1/2 months old)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in General Parenting

• You are doing great! If you daughter doesn't wake up when you peek in at her, and it makes you feel better to do so, then go for it. Otherwise, you can let her sleep and enjoy the peace. You are doing her a big favor by letting her put herself back to sleep when she wakes up at night. To me, sleep is as important as food and oxygen. Remember that she doesn't feel abandoned, she is just protesting, the same way she will when she is older and you won't let her eat candy before dinner time. I did nap time sleep training, too. My favorite sleep book is "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child" it doesn't require that you let them cry it out, and explains the problems that can be encountered at each age, up through adolescence. Good Luck! You will get there!
    Lovemy2girlsKK

Answer by Lovemy2girlsKK at 10:53 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• If she isn't crying I wouldn't go in there. You have the monitor so you can hear what's going on.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:02 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I always got worried and would check on them regaurdless every few minutes to be sure they are safe and not about to get hurt. Usually when they are quiet something is wrong. But I know it is hard. Just check on here to be sure. Better safe than sorry.
    lovinmomto3

Answer by lovinmomto3 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• If it doesn't wake up your dd then it is fine to go check on her. My oldest dd woke up everytime the door moved so I can't check on her when she is sleeping. She was really hard to sleep train but after about 2 weeks she finally gave in and now she goes straight to her big girl bed and gets in at night.. She doesn't whine, cry, or fuss - just goes straight to sleep.
    Keep at it, it WILL get easier and it sounds like she is already doing well with it. Now you need to relax and enjoy the few minutes you get of peace while she sleeps more sound and for longer.
    kwardrip

Answer by kwardrip at 10:18 AM on Oct. 1, 2008