Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child support battle, now what?

I hired a lawyer a few years ago, after many.. many court dates we finally started getting child support in somewhat steady. Then about 6 months ago they started getting smaller and smaller until they just quit. Now I owe my lawyer way more than I can afford and he won't work for me anymore. But I'm still not getting any child support. The court order was done in IL. What do I do to get child support now?


Asked by MJ_BN_FE at 8:26 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 8 (212 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (2)
  • Call child support enforcement for your state. They are generally free, and should be able to enforce a court order. It may take a few months, but they will garnish his wages, take any upcoming tax returns, etc. There is only so much they can do, but they will at least make some type of effort.

    Answer by missanc at 8:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

  • Call the courts. Most states have a system set up that if the arrears (the back child support owed) go beyond a certain amount, they have a hearing and if it's not paid within a certain amount of time the person owing would go to jail. Also when you contact the Domestic Relations in your area ask them about free legal aid.

    Good luck.

    Answer by colethky at 8:31 PM on Jul. 15, 2010