Too much solids?

dd is 9 mo. and I think I have been overdoing the solids and as a result she hasn't been nursing as well and is peeing less, etc. ( her diaper that she wears overnight only had one pee worth in it). I give her an egg yolk at breakfast with a few slices of fruit and a tsp or two or so of cereal. Lunch I make her something like baked veggies cut up with brown rice, cheese and leftover egg yolk and mix it up and give her about 1/4 c. same at dinner.. and she gets nibbles of my food and snacks We still cosleep but she doesnt seem to really nurse at night anymore. Am I right to assume the solids are too much... I also don't give her much water (sometimes none), the most 4 oz. in a day? I think I am going to cut down the servings. 1/2 an egg yolk and one slice of fruit? and 1/8 a cup at lunch and dinner? Not sure what portions I should give

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:01 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It doesn't sound like your giving her too much. You should give her more fluids though. She should have no more than 4oz of 100% fruit juice a day and water. They eventually grow out of night time nursing. I breastfed my dd for 1 year and she stopped night nursing on her own at about 8 months old. Its totally normal for them to nurse less as you feed them more solids. She should be wetting about 5 diapers a day and if she isn't, she needs more liquids. So give her a sippy cup or 2 of water a day between meals. The food portions sound just fine to me. That is about what I fed my daughter and she is almost 13 months and VERY healthy. Just increase liquids some and she will be fine. Good luck!
    amp83

Answer by amp83 at 9:09 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I have never heard about feeding too much solid food to your child, but you should gove her more fluid.
    amber1216

Answer by amber1216 at 10:04 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Make sure you nurse before offering solids
    Solids during the first year are only meant to complement breastmilk, not take precedence over it or replace any breastfeedings.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:10 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I agree ^^^ i would nurse first then feed solids!
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 10:35 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I HAVE A TEN MONTH OLD I HAVE BEEN FEEDING SOLID TO SENCE 6 MONTHS HE STILL NURSES GOOD BUT IF THE BABY IS NURSING LESS GIVE HER A SIPPY CUP THIS IS THE BEST TIME TO WEEN I WISH MY SON WOULD DRINK MORE FROM A SIPPY CUP HE EATS A LOT AND STILL NURSES GOD BLESS
    poohbaby27520

Answer by poohbaby27520 at 10:54 AM on Oct. 1, 2008