• In the Spotlight:

BF mamas who pump......

When you pump do you stop after milk stops flowing, or do you stop after a certain amount of time?

I pump 15 minutes per side, so 30 total. When I stop milk is still coming though. I get a good 5 to 8 oz and am done, and just don't want to continue.

KairisMama

Asked by KairisMama at 8:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should pump till the milk stops to get all that good hind fat. If you stop to early, the milk doesn't have the calorie saturation it should.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 8:51 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I was told to stop when it stops spraying unless you were trying to build supply keep going for another 5 minutes. If you stop before it stops spraying, you are not getting hind milk which baby needs.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• You are lucky! I used a double electric pump at work and would get about 4 oz out of one side and about 2 oz out of the other side. Here's the deal. If you stop pumping b4 your milk is done your body will start to adjust and make less milk. If you want to keep your supply up you should pump till you don't have any more.
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• gailll...i really think people get sick of your snide remarks...is there another site that wants you?
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 9:20 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• When I pumped I did it till the milk stopped flowing.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 8:47 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• gee i have to stop when the milk stops but i only get out about 2 oz. ..... i know there is obviously more in there, but me and the pump just don't get along lol.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:50 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I wondered if it was bad to stop. I just don't know how long it will flow, for 15 minutes per side is already long to me. I should invest in a double pump.
    KairisMama

Comment by KairisMama (original poster) at 8:54 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• gaill I have a Medela swing pump. It's not a double though. Trust me, I pump a LOT of milk. I pumped 40 oz since Tuesday night. I am a rarity, lol 

KairisMama

Comment by KairisMama (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• gailll...aren't you just the breastfeeding know it all?!? i pump 5-6oz first thing in the morning and i have the same exact pump as you. the manual swing pump...mine is from WIC. i pump during the day until the milk stops flowing and average 3-4oz per side everytime i pump.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 9:02 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• and i have B cups...if that matters! lol
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 9:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2010