Why is it that we want freedom for our selves but can't seem to allow it for others?

hot-mama86

Asked by hot-mama86 at 9:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I hate to say it but the nature of most religions that I know are that "we" are right in our beliefs and everyone else is wrong.

Except it's not most religions. It's not even a handful. It's really just one. There is only one that cannot abide live and let live - even Islam, if you actually read it and not listen to the insane babbling of some Imam on a power trip, feels that one must volunteer to become Muslim, that it cannot be forced. There is no tenet of Judaism or Islam that commands people to convince others to convert, and there are no pre-Abrahamic religions that do so, either. What's unfortunate is that single religion is in the majority here, and people love to think that the majority = everyone instead of more than half.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 11:39 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• You have freedom to do whatever you please. It is just what freedom is for others may not be what freedom is for us.

What truth to you may not mean the same truth to me.
    What God's truth is , usually is very different than man's truth. It often contridicts. Yet God lets every man, woman and child make their own choice for or against Him. The choice is yours ... and the consequences of those choices are yours also. God loves everyone but He does not love everyone's choices.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 10:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I hate to say it but the nature of most religions that I know are that "we" are right in our beliefs and everyone else is wrong. So to me there is a major flaw in religion in general. Honestly though, if you believe that "x" has to be in your faith to go to heaven, then everyone who doesn't do or believe "x" is out. That is the problem to me.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 10:16 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Who doesn't want it for others? I do. I'm usually the only one on the side for Freedom for groups like Scientologist, JWs, Mormons, Muslims and of course Pagans... I'm all for it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:29 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I have no problem allowing others their freedom as long as they don't try to take mine away.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:09 AM on Jul. 17, 2010

• I am with Beeky- but I think the natural message of many religions is "We are the chosen. We are his people. Our message is the truth. The way to eternal salvation is through US." IMO, the natural inclination for many is to believe that they are indeed, right, correct, the chosen and the special ones. Mix in the concept of "Spreading the good news," and you can easily see why we have the strife. If I am right, you must be wrong.

IMO,organized religion is about fear and control. You hit them with all the negatives to ramp up the fear, and then you pull them back in with the "message". Do not forget to put your check in the basket.....
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:27 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• OK the people who voted me down are hysterical. Please, someone, bring me a single quote from the Koran (not an Imam, the actual book), the Torah or any other sacred text that says you are duty bound to recruit and convert others for the faith.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:14 PM on Jul. 17, 2010

• freedom of what? religion? citizenship? free to put sprinkles on your cappachino chunky chocolate, but make everyone else have just plain vanilla?
    (did i miss a post?)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:31 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• ooh..just realized this is a new section..i'll let myself out.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• HotMama- I completely understand. My mother still doesn't use the word Pagan or Witch to describe my beliefs she just says "You're different" or something similar. And I told her when I was 6 that this was my path... So you'd think she would have had the time to cope by now. She even thinks it's her fault because she didn't beat me enough (her words)... I think in cases like that though, people just don't like change! And when it's something like this people REALLY don't like it! They believe that their way is 100% the one and only way to believe, so the idea that someone they love is walking a new or different path is very upsetting to them... It will get better, always does.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:29 PM on Jul. 16, 2010