I'm 5 weeks or so and I just had an ultrasound done yesterday. They could not hear a heartbeat or see a fetal pole should I be worried?

I thought I was almost 6 weeks pregnant, but when I went in for an ultrasound the Tech could not detect a heartbeat or a fetal pole. All I had seen was a black hole. My doctor told me I also have a small blood clot above the sac. My levals are where there supposed to be and my Preges. levals are better than average. He wanted me to come back next week for another ultrasound, but I think I should wait at least two weeks just to make sure. They did a internal US and I also had a half way full bladder. I didn't know if this could interupt the US. Is it possible that I did mess up on my dates and I shouldn't be worried or should I?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:18 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• i wouldnt worry. 5 weeks is pretty early to find a hearbeat.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 9:20 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• 6wks is really the earliest to see anything meaningful. Sometimes all you see at 5wks is the sac.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 9:20 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I'd wait until about 8 weeks, you're more likely to see something at that point.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 9:21 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Its too early, just have some patience.
    LittleD96

Answer by LittleD96 at 9:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• 5 weeks is very early for a u/s. why did your dr order one this early? have you had difficulty in past pregnancy? I am also surprised that since they were doing it sooo early that they didnt make sure you had a TOTALY FULLL bladder.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:24 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I think you can see the heart beat at 6 weeks. so maybe put it off just one extra week.
    I don't recall an internal needing a full bladder, I know for the external, they recommend it to help push the uterus up and out.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 9:27 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I have a history of ectopics. i had to go in at 4, 5, and 6.5 weeks for internal ultrasounds. The sac was visible at 5 weeks but the heartbeat and pole wasnt there until 6.5 weeks. I had to go in every week because if it was ectopic they had to stop it asap. I just had that baby, he is healthy happy 3 month old. The begging is alwys stressfull, you will be ok. Your dr has a reason to do ultrasound sooner than what you want. Its all for the best!!
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 9:30 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Way to early to hear anything. I wouldn't even think about going back until I was at least 8 weeks or more.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 11:09 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Alot of doctors wont see patients until after they missed a second period putting them at about 8w so they dont have to deal with scared mommas when they dont see anything. Even at 8w you sometimes cant hear a heartbeat!
    Dont get nervous until after you go again- im sure everything will be fine!
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 10:45 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Yeah there's nothing to see on a 5 week ultrasound and there's not much more to see on a 6 week ultrasound. Honestly your doctor's office is gonna make $1000 off every ultrasound and you're not gonna get anything out of them.
    JessWulf84

Answer by JessWulf84 at 12:34 PM on Jul. 16, 2010