what is wrong with him?

My son is 3, going on 4 months, hes been sick for about a week now, he won't eat, because his nose is stopped up, we have taken him to the doctor twice, both doctors said something different. the first said it was a stomach bug the second said it was sinuses. he has stuffy nose, and its runny. he has a fever, which i have been giving him tylenol but it doesnt seem like its working. he is crying non stop. im not sure if his head is hurting, his throet, i just dont know what to do! someone please help us!

Jessica1991

Asked by Jessica1991 at 9:17 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree with what most have said, but I strongly feel that you need to find out for sure if your little one has RSV. My baby became critically ill with RSV as a newborn and it is not "just a cold".. It can be very serious in babies under age one. You can go to www.rsvprotection.com for more info and to find out the warning signs. If it is RSV, there is no treatment, but depending on his symptoms, he may need to be closely monitored (oxygen levels). Due to my baby's age when he got it (8 days old), he was automatically admitted to the hospital, a decision which ultimately saved his life. Good luck and trust your instincts!
    julesr475

Answer by julesr475 at 11:44 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Our daughter had RSV at that same age. She had the same symptoms too. My suggestion to you is to take him to the pediatrician and have his oxygen level checked. They can also take a sample of his mucous (from his nose) and test it for RSV. Dont let them tell you its not RSV because it is a very real possibility that it could be. If theyre not willing to cooperate, if you have a childrens hospital near you, (thats what we ended up doing because nothing the doctors were doing seem to work) I'd take him there. If it is RSV, that is not a fun virus. We almost lost our daughter to it because the doctors we took her to were morons. Needless to say, we never took her back to them.
    stampmama

Answer by stampmama at 9:22 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I'm no doctor but I am a mother of 5, and it sounds like a viral infection to me. There's nothing a doctor can give him for that it just has to run it's course. Run a vaporizer in his room,that will help with the stuffiness, and get some"Little Noses" it's a saline drops that you put in their nose. And use the bulb syringe a few minutes after the drops. Once you get some of that gunk outta' there he'll probably be able to eat better. Good Luck!!
    jazegurl

Answer by jazegurl at 9:28 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I'm also a newer mom but What "jazegurl" said is what i had to do for my son when he had a really bad cold. He also wouldn't eat cause babies breath through their nose most of the time and definitely when they eat their bottle. Using the saline drops and bulb syringe should really help. But if You Feel Its something more i would definitely take him to a good hospital or doctor, The don't call it mothers' instinct for nothing. lol.

dmomma317

Answer by dmomma317 at 9:54 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Saline drops are wonderful! And use a humidifier, give him fluids too.
    amber1216

Answer by amber1216 at 10:06 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• At 3 months old, if he has a fever, its dangerous for him if the fever hasnt broke after you've been trying. If his fever is 101 or above or if his temperature has been 100 for 24 hours, you need to take him in. I wouldnt wait it out. Not all viruses are safe for babies, especially that young.
    stampmama

Answer by stampmama at 10:07 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Little Noses makes a saline nasal mist that you spray up one nostril while their head is tilted to the side and continue spraying until it starts coming out of the other nostril. It cleans out their sinus passages completely. Then suck out all the junk with a aspirator. It sucks to do it b/c they hate it but it helps so much! Run a humidifier as well.
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 1:40 PM on Oct. 1, 2008