Fried potatoes--how do you cook them?

I can NEVER get them to turn out the way they are supposed to. They are always hard. So how do you gets yours to come out just right?

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 9:39 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Drain on paper towels and sprinkle lightly with salt.
    The sugar water bath makes the potatoes brown and crisp up nicely on the outside while they stay nice and fluffy inside. Since the potatoes are diced in small pieces you don't have to use as much oil and the potaotes will cook more quickly than bigger pieces. These taste alot like Five Guys fries if you have ever had them.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:00 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I use olive oil and I cook them on medium heat. I let them simmer for about 15 minutes and I check them to see if they are slightly brown. When they are, then I turn them.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:41 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• You are not cooking them long enough if they are hard. I cut mine in thin slices and fry them in olive oil and sliced onions. I cook them until they are tender

Answer by admckenzie at 9:41 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I use new potatoes or precook older potatoes (boil them until just barely done.) (drain well) slice. Heat butter or oil, a few tablespoons, lay the potato slices in, salt and pepper, and turn after few minutes when they start browning.

Answer by Bmat at 9:41 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Next time you bake potatoes, bake extra. Then the next day use those to fry up. Then they will be soft and awesome. You can keep them in the fridge a few days until you are ready to fry them. I always make extra when I bake them. But then I use veggie oil. I also add peppers, onions and mushrooms. And salt pepper and italian seasoning.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:43 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Heat up some vegetable oil in a big silicone type pan, you could either dice them or slice them. Put them in the pan and season with garlic salt and pepper, cover so the steam can soften them up a little for about 15 -20 min. then remove the lid and turn them and let them cook till their golden brown. Turn as needed and watch the temp..every stove is different. Electric cooks different then gas stoves.
    geminisummerz

Answer by geminisummerz at 9:43 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Oh, yeah, I forgot, I put a lid on mine too!!
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:45 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My friend has an awesome recipe where she takes the small red potatos, cuts them in half, boils them until they are cooked but don't break apart.....she lets them cool then she sprinkles them with garlic salt and puts them in a HOT pan cut side down in about 1/4" of veg. oil until they're brown, then she serves them with a dill dip made of fresh dill, dill pickle juice and sour cream and salt and pepper to taste.....FANTASTIC!!!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 9:46 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I use Russet potatoes.
    Scrub them, dice them into small cubes, leave the skins on.
    Place them in a collander and rinse excess starch from potatoes.
    Place 2 T. sugar in the bottom of a bowl. Run a little warm water to dissolve sugar.
    Fill bowl with cold water and several ice cubes.
    Pour potatoes into sugared ice water. Let them soak about 20 minutes while I prepare the rest of the meal.
    Pour potatoes into collander to drain off water.
    Place kitchen towel on counter and spread potatoes evenly on towel. Place another towel on top and blot dry.
    Dry the bowl and place potatoes back into bowl.
    Sprinkle with seasoning salt and toss to coat.
    Heat about 1" of oil in a deep frying pan over medium high.
    When oil is shimmering but not smoking add potatoes.
    Cook at least 10 minutes or so, the edges will be browned. Turn and cook unitl evenly browned. Turning as necessary.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 9:57 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Really they don't any sweeter than they would normally. It mainly just works magic on the texture and browning. It's only 2 T. sugar for the whole bowl full of water. Just make sure you dry the potatoes well after draining so the oil doesn't get crazy on you when you put them in to cook.
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 10:09 PM on Jul. 15, 2010