Am I really old? When did people start having a shower for each pregnancy?

I'm not by any means being rude. But I have babies, I'm not that old. But where I come from you get one baby shower. You don't get one every time you are pregnant. If you are planning on possibly having another child you save those big things. My boys are 14 months apart, when I got pregnant with the second my SIL got pregnant a month later. She already had a 3 yr old. She wanted another shower (mainly because she and my brother got rid of all the baby stuff....due to their dimwittedness). But my mom and other family members told her it would be rude an offensive to have another shower and ask for things again. We would like a third baby but not in the next year, but know enough to save all the things. Now, I can see if you child is older, like 5 and you find out you are pregnant having another shower. But lately on here, there are questions about the second shower. Am I old fashioned or living in a small world LOL

2BlondeBabies

Asked by 2BlondeBabies at 9:49 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• IMO to want ANOTHER BIG shower just because you got rid of your baby stuff - well BOO HOO for you. If you know you want more kids, SAVE THE STUFF. You should not expect people to provide EVERYTHING for you for EVERY KID. I saved everything from my shower for my first. I had it to use for my second. Yes, I even had kids of the opposite sex.

I do think a sprinkle for a second or third child is cool, for diapers or clothes (opposite sex). I don't agree with HUGE SHOWERS for every child, that's all.

KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:56 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I say, second shower IF someone else is throwing it for you AND the baby is a DIFFERENT gender from the first one. Other than that....it's not really appropriate.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 9:51 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• i don't think you're old or old-fashioned. however, i think each birth should be celebrated, and if your friends/family want to throw a shower for each one, even if you're a Duggar, then let 'em! there are always things that can be saved and re-used for subsequent pregnancies/babies, but who doesn't like some new stuff now and then? besides, some things like diapers, can always be appreciated. obviously, you don't need new strollers, highchairs, or even new bottles..but some things like carseats/carriers can need to be updated, for safety reasons.
    i don't have a problem with baby showers for each child. but then, i love cake..i'll admit, that's the main reason i attend showers!!
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 9:54 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• What's the big deal. Why do people think they get to make rules for other people? If you get invited to a shower and you don't want to buy a present then don't go. Don't tell the people or other people that they are rude. That would make you rude.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• i am on my third pegnancy right now. and i may or may not have a baby shower. my youngest is three. after i got divorced and became a single mother i decided no more kids. well here i am 2 years later engaged and now expecting. this was so not in my plans but he and i have been together for a 1 1/2 years now so we are happy and excited. however.....i gave all my baby stuff away because ..well i thought i was done....so i duno if it would be considered wrong for me to have another baby shower. but this would be the first in my home state and the first for his family and my family alike. because my first born we had a shower well my church in another state (where i lived at the time) thru it for me. i duno maybe it is or isnt wrong to have more than one. but it would be nice.
    sweetestkitten

Answer by sweetestkitten at 9:57 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My family does not throw showers for a second or third child, regardless of the gender. There has been ONE exception. That was for me, last year. I got rid of all my baby stuff because 1), I wasn't planning on having any more children and when I escaped from my abusive husband, I wasn't' able to take much. 2)I was so disillusioned by my first marriage, I really wasn't planning on remarrying much less having another child and 3) the kids are 10 years apart. No one expected me to keep my baby stuff for 10 years.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:59 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I just heard about that "sprinkle" idea on here a couple weeks ago and that's really cute! I like that!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:00 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I had a second shower, but my first was ten and from my ex and my ex made me leave with nothing.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 9:53 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Thats the way it is these days...I know... I think its too much too. One should be enough.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 9:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• i agree with you. i did have to have another shower for my sis bc her kids are 7 years apart. but other than that i say 1 is enough. and people always bring you something when they come to see the baby anyhow
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2010