Boys and sports

I know this is an odd question, but at what age did you get "protection" for your boys while they played sports? DH didn't play any sports as a young child (not until high school) so he's not sure if/when we need to get DS anything. Right now he's only playing soccer, but he has talked about baseball and football, any thoughts?

CaLizzyMom

Asked by CaLizzyMom at 9:52 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• My ds is 17 1/2 yrs old and he plays sports. In fact, soccer is his primary one :-)

I can tell you that if it's a sport that they should have it, it will be part of the uniform list. If he plays baseball, he'll need it (even at a pretty young age). Same with football.

However, I will tell you that soccer, they do NOT use cups. They wear shorts, shirt, socks, shin guards, cleats. If they play goal keeper, they can also add goal keeper pants and shirt (they have a little bit of padding on the hips, knees, and elbows), and goal keeper gloves. Which, if your ds sticks with soccer and he plays this position (both my teens play keeper) you REALLY need at the VERY least the gloves to protect their wrists and fingers from being snapped back when they smack the balls out, and to protect their hands from some of the sting from it.

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:38 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Well...my son is 10 and he's into sports as well. It never dawned on me to ask him until I seen a jock strap at Dicks Sporting Goods when we went there to pick up his baseball pants. So, I just asked him if he wanted one. They do sell junior sized ones. He just said, Naw, I don't need one. I said OKay...but if you change your mind, let me know....I think if he doesnt ask for one by the time he's' 12, I'll just get it.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:56 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• they will probably require it if when they need it. it would be part of their 'uniform', kwim?
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:56 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Right from the get go it is a requirement along with all the other equipment.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Oh, and NOT to discourage you from letting your little one play, but please don't think that playing soccer is going to be a "safer" sport or anything like that. Like I said, both my kids play high school soccer, and my ds also plays football. They started soccer when they were little, and it was all cute little kids playing "herd ball". But as they get older and their skills get more developed, it gets to be a lot more contact. My ds has had more than one concussion from taking a kick to the head, diving on the ball to block a goal. This year, my dd got her wrist broke smacking a ball, and my ds got his nose broke taking cleats to the face when diving on a ball in the goal box.

Again, I'm NOT saying don't play soccer, it's a great game and great exercise and builds teamwork and communication skills. But, it's a lot rougher than people think when they start.

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 10:41 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Thanks for all the thoughts. This was our first year in soccer and the only things on the list were shinguards and soccer cleats. In the U8 they didn't have goalies, but next year, they all get to take turns and the team has to provide the extra equipment. He's been hit in the face a few times, so far the only injury has been a few bruises and scratches from his glasses when he got hit (good glasses though, never broke). DH was thinking he wouldn't need one for soccer, but he wasn't sure. Once again, Thanks!
    CaLizzyMom

Comment by CaLizzyMom (original poster) at 11:38 PM on Jul. 15, 2010