Homeschool VS Private/Public/Etc

What's the difference?
Why are so many people against Homeschooling?
My kids are getting just as much education as the kids in school.
So ladies... what are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I can count on one hand the people I know who have issues with homeschooling and also have the first clue about it. The rest all talk out of their asses about how horrible it is yet can't answer even the simplest questions about how it works, what the success rate is or how many colleges are actively recruiting home schooled kids. They just assume it's all backwards, bible banging sheltered kids with social disorders and don't even realize how many people they know who were homeschooled and don't feel the need to include it at the end of every sentence.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:26 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I think different children/families have different needs and not all of them can be met in any one particular way.

As long as the child is getting a proper education, it doesn't matter to me what someone else chooses to do.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I'm about to take my kids "off the grid" and home school them~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 10:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• There are homeschooling co-ops that offer kids the chance to socialize and learn in a different format, even play sports, produce plays, etc. Homeschooling does not have to mean that you're depriving your children of anything, as long as the parents are willing to put the effort required into making sure their children get everything they need, both academically and socially.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:26 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• A lot of people are ignorant about home schooling.
    There have been a lot of advances in the home schooling world that people don't understand. There are soo many more community acitivies, and even some schools allow home school children to participate in sports. The only difference in home schooling vs. public/private is the quality of education the child gets. And the differs from parent to parent and school to school. As long as the children are still getting social interaction with their peers, acitivity, and learning all they should there's nothing wrong with home schooling your child.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:35 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I homeschool. . . I like the personal attention my DD gets and she is never late for school. . .:) In public school they teach to the lowest in the class where as with homeschooling you teach to your child's level and can push them to do their best. . . a Private school is great but very expensive and many push certain beliefs. . . where I think school is about education not about what you believe.
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 10:09 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Homeschooling is about the QUALITY of education. . . yes in schools you have school functions but you can have field trips and sports homeschooling too. . .
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 10:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My personal belief is that while homeschool can offer great academics, the students can lack in other areas. I have found that there are more than a few homeschooled students have difficulty in working in cooperative groups later in life and they have difficulites relating to others who have different personality and/or temperment from themselves.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 10:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I don't know a lot about home schooling. I think that is a personal choice that you make. I do know about private and public. I went to both public and private. I graduated from private. I have taught a both public and private. My sons have gone to both. Private schools give the parents more say, the curriculum is more "back to basics" with a demand on rigor and a high standard of excellence. Discipline is rarely that much of an issue, but there are times....Public is more political, see who we can please, bend to the will of the "disruptive parents" instead of holding them to the rules and standards, watered down curriculum and don't even try to be too rigorous. What public calls rigorous private calls general (generalizing, but after teaching at 2 private schools, and 3 public, you form opinions.)
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• continued: the discipline issues at public school are the most disruptive education interferring part of the day. I spend most of a class period dealing with one unruly child and then another. I tire of the fights, the arguing, the complaining about work, the parents who think fussing at a school employee demonstrates "love of their child" instead of realizing insisting that child go to school, behave, and get an education is the greatest gift of love there is. That education is power to that child. It is the power to improve a life situation if they so choose. I tire of having to spend my personal money to buy supplies for some one else's child and then the child come to school with $150 shoes on when my kid has to wear "on sale off the bottom shelf" shoes. I spent his shoe money on another mother's kid. I'm tired of the "free education" whines when it isn't free!!!!!
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:49 PM on Jul. 15, 2010