drugs during pregnancy?

my cousin had her baby girl in may, and she is a huge druggie. everyone thought her baby was going to get taken away from her, and come out addicted. but it didnt. but her baby pulls at her hair like she tries to rip it out. could she have an addiction, or could something else be wrong with her?

Jessica1991

Asked by Jessica1991 at 9:25 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Thats a form of dealing with anxiety. Its called trichotillomania. I have a good friend who has it and her mom was a drinker and smoker (of not only cigarettes) when she was pregnant with her. I don't know if its correlated but it is a real disease and there is treatment for it....She may not have that and she may grow out of it but I doubt its an addiction.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 9:52 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• If she just had the baby then it is probably withdrawal.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 9:27 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My daughter used to pull out her hair and eat it. I never did any drugs while pregnant. Not even caffeine. So, IMO, it's not a sign of addiction. There are other signs and if the baby is otherwise healthy then chances are it's OK.

If you're concerned you could always call CPS.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 9:27 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Depends on the drug I suppose.....I know alot of women who used pot while pregnant and their babies seem to be fine...but anything like crack, meth, heroine, PCP...the "hard stuff" would definitely have harsh affects on the child. How selfish of anyone to use while pregnant! I am not sure of the childs behaviors are a factor of that.
    amber1216

Answer by amber1216 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I knew someone that had the same issue and she was as clean as a whistle!

It was an OCD issue and the baby grew out if it after the first 2 years.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 10:52 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• One of my kids was a hair puller, right around the same age. If all the toys & blankie were out of reach, she'd rub her hands all over looking for soemthing to hold on to, and it usually ended up being her hair. She's get a handful and pull and scream! Never figured out why, I did not do any drugs or drink or anything. So while there is a chance it could be from mom's habits, it could be boredom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• The baby probably doesn't even realize she is pulling her own hair at that age.
    journey2lose100

Answer by journey2lose100 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I don't think she'd be going through withdraw 5 months later! I think it's just a phase. My daughter's the same age and recently started pulling at her ears and hair while she's nursing. I think it's just part of them discovering new things like "cool, what's this stuff attached to my head?!" :)
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 1:36 PM on Oct. 1, 2008