Can you help me help her?

My daughter is 6 years old and she doesn't pretend.

She had an imaginary friend (Cassie) before she started school but after she attended school, her imagination went down the drain and Cassie went away.

She doesn't play with dolls, or cars, or any of her toys. Therefore, she's always 'bored' and doesn't know what to do. She does not know how to play by herself.

I tried reading books to her to her, but she only likes to read so that she can memorize the book.

What can I do to help her pretend and play?

crash_1283

Asked by crash_1283 at 9:36 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I just want to say thanks to those that took the time to answer. We're doing alright, she's been playing with Matchbox cars with her brother and she's also taking ballet, gymnastics, hip hop dance, and baton classes on Monday's. She's also playing Soccer on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Saturday.

Thanks for your help!
    crash_1283

Answer by crash_1283 at 9:53 AM on Oct. 16, 2008

• try having her write a story about something...like tell her to make her own book about whatever she likes...did you try educational video games? like v smile or something like that. also talk to your childs doctor about it...I dont want to say anything wrong but something else might be going wrong with her...or shes just growing up too fast and understands hmm im too old for dolls when in reality shes not...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Try making up stories with her. You start and after a few sentences have her jump in and take over the next few sentences then back to you. Make the story as outlandish and imaginative as you can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• my sister was that way. she did not like to read or play dolls or anything. i was totally the opposite of my sis. i agree with the other ladies about making up stories and games and such. but have you tried sports to entertain her? try getting her into dancing or soccer or something that will get her up and moving. the YMCA offers tons of activites.

also start doing young things with her. take her outside to lay on the grass and look up at the clouds and find shapes in them. or when driving down the road and you see someone talking on the phone or sitting on the bench, as her who the person is talking to or who the person is waiting for and create a story around the people you see (this is how one playwright and movie writer actually gets his stories from)
    ArmyWifeMomof3

Answer by ArmyWifeMomof3 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Some children just don't have active imaginations. I agree with the sports thing, or watch what she does like. Since she likes books, maybe she would like to write her own, or let her make up a play and act it out for you.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 11:40 AM on Oct. 1, 2008