Upgrading my engagement ring...wrong?

My fiance and I picked out a ring when we first got together but our credit limit wouldn't allow us to finance it so we got a different ring. We just traded it in and got the one I wanted (a whole karot bigger:) and his brother and wife will probably be upset that I got a different ring on. Has anyone else upgraded their ring or think it's wrong to do so? It's sweet to us that we finally got me the ring that we picked out together so long ago...PLUS...it's bigger (karot and a half:)

worriedmommy600

Asked by worriedmommy600 at 10:50 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Just for Fun

• You do whatever you can afford and makes you happy (:
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 10:51 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I think it's awesome. I would wonder why my brother and SIL would even care?
    sunshineemommy

Answer by sunshineemommy at 10:52 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• btw it's not your fiance's brother or wifes business what ring you wear.
    Cochise

Answer by Cochise at 10:52 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• If you and your fiance are happy about it, then that's all that matters. It's not uncommon for people to do that. I've heard of people upgrading their rings for every major anniversary. If his brother and wife are bothered by it, maybe they're just a bit jealous that you get to do that.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:52 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• when DH was getting my ring he could only afford the smaller one and not the bigger one he originally wanted to get me. When he's through school and we've saved up a bit, he wants to buy me a bigger ring as well. I dont know what people will think but I kinda don't care. He's told me on his own without me ever saying anything that I deserve a bigger ring. It's between you and your DH.....I wouldn't even say anything to anyone because like I said....it's what your DH wanted for you!
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 10:53 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• His brother and sister in law really upset me. They are so judgemental and think they are the perfect couple (yes, they have said this to me) and think I am draining my fiance of his money. I work full time as a nursing assistant and we pay our bills together. They told me that they didnt' think I was good enough for him because I was divorced and already have a son...pfft!!

I'm of course excited to get my dream ring and he is happy to give it to me (we both pay on it:)
    worriedmommy600

Comment by worriedmommy600 (original poster) at 10:54 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My husband had no money when he proposed to me. The only ring he could afford was a 250 dollar ring from Kay's. It is a simple white gold band with an 1/8 of a karat diamond. I love it. He picked it out all on his own and surprised me one day. i personally do not want any other ring than the one he gave me that day (nor a different wedding band). We can afford a nicer one now but I like the one I got and wouldnt trade it for anything. Everyone is different though and that is just fine as well. I have a co-worker that has 2 wedding sets. One in white gold and one in yellow gold to match whatever jewelery she is wearing that day and I think that is just fine as well.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Well I'm happy for you! Tell them to kick rocks! lol
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 10:56 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• We upgraded my ring years ago from my original engagement ring to a bit larger one and my husband got me an anniversary band a few years after that. I honestly wish we hadn't spent the money. I have changed so much over the last 11 years we have been married and couldn't care less about the ring on my finger, but I did at one point think it was kind of a big deal. It is the marriage and the relationship that matters, not the rock on the finger. I am perfectly happy with my tiny thin wedding band that I have had since our wedding day and many times I wear it only and leave the diamonds at home.

That said, I can't imagine why it would be anyone's business what you do with your money. For someone to be upset about the ring on your finger is petty and ridiculous.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:56 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I agree CAgirl!! My fiance says I'm worth it......so I believe him!! he he! Everyone that has seen it has been like WOW!! Hells yea, that's the reaction I'm going for:) I LOVE IT!! It's romantic to because we picked it out together:)
    worriedmommy600

Comment by worriedmommy600 (original poster) at 10:56 PM on Jul. 15, 2010