Are your political beliefs the same ones you grew up around?

Do you follow the same political beliefs as your parents/family or have you come to your own thoughts and ideas as an adult? Does this make things awkward if your beliefs are different than your parents/siblings/close family?

KTMOM

Asked by KTMOM at 10:50 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Good lord, no.

I grew up in a conservative Republican Christian family. The older members in my family are beyond help, they're set in their ways and won't budge. The younger (I'm talking under 30) people in my family are mostly apathetic, but a few of them can be quite abrasive in their opinions of me. I try to consider the source, especially when the cousins younger than me start spouting off.

caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:52 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• smiley laughing Pictures, Images and Photos

Not even close! My family are all hard core conservatives, I am not by any stretch of the imagination. It was hard coming of age in that family, because they thought that I was rebelling and didn't take my political beliefs seriously. Now it is really easy... We DON"T talk politics...AT ALL!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:54 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Yes. It took me a while to grow into my own set of priorities and to shape and mold how my beliefs fit into my life, my values, my sense of morality. I realized that how I believe is close to my parents' beliefs. We differ on some issues, but mostly, we are close.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 10:56 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Not by a long shot...I'm the only conservative Independent (former Republican) in my family--including all extended relatives--they're all die hard liberal Democrats!!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:57 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I was more conservative than my parents originally. But now....I am liberal. My Mom was one of the first to despise Tricky Dick Nixon,from the days of his Checkers Speech in the 1950's. . By the middle 1970's, I was just as Liberal as she was. The rest of the family were conservative Republicans. We were the rebels. :-)
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 11:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Definitely not. In fact, my dad placed an urgent call and an email to beg me not to open the latest Obama-trashing email that he is so fond of, and erroneously sent to me. We have had so many disagreements over politics, are at such opposite ends that I've demanded that we never discuss politics, and I've admonished him for sending me those ridiculous emails. He sent one by mistake yesterday, and was in a panic that I might read it.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 11:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• not really... my dad never pushed anything out towards a political party... but i honestly dont like the government period... i dont like being contrilled... cause few people know that the illuminati is trying to take everyone's mind, soul, and their body
    jtaylor87

Answer by jtaylor87 at 10:53 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• No way! I am the opposite of my parents in every way.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 10:58 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I would say yes.  My parents are pretty liberal.  I am probably the most liberal of all of my family..  We disagree on a few issues.  Were on the same page for the most part.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 11:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• We are pretty similar. My dad is pretty fiscally conservative, but socially liberal. My mom is a moderate. They are both registered Democrats.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 11:16 PM on Jul. 15, 2010