am I the only one who refuses to give my children Mc Donalds food?

My SIL gives her 2 and 5 year olds McDonalds all the time. I watch them during the week part-time. If she drops them off around lunch they always come with a happy meal w/soda. If they come in the early am she sends them over with pop tarts. neither kid drinks milk ever, she says to give them juice. When the dad picks them up at 5 he stops at Mc donalds or KFC on his way home and buys supper for them. I think its wrong. But I have never said anything to her and dont plan on butting in, its her children. My kids are 1.5 and 4. They never have had fast food or soda. we drink milk, juice only if we go somewhere and are out and about I dont want milk sitting in a sippy cup too long. I cook food for my children, meat veggies etc. I am not totally against fast food, I just think she is too lazy to cook. I choose not to offer it to my kids, but if people do it once in awhile I see no problem.Kids need normal diet to grow!! Agree???

wood1980

Asked by wood1980 at 10:57 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I think that is an excessive amount of junk food to be feeding kids.

My kids are 11 months old and 3.5 years old. They will get fast food once in a while. Once, maybe twice a month, depending on what's going on.

They have never had soda. My daughter(11m) drinks either formula or water and my son only drinks water, soy milk or organic apple juice.
    They get food that I cook as well. Chicken, veggies, fruit, cereal(multigrain cheerios only) etc...

I'm not a health food freak and I do let them have their indulgences but it's usually having a nutella sandwich, which would be on ancient grains bread or having a real fruit popsicle.
    My son really loves chips so I buy the low salt tortilla chips because they're 'slightly' less bad. I also get the mini rice cakes which both kids love.

There are plenty of ways to be lazy about cooking and preparing meals without constantly resorting to fast food.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 11:04 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I love McDonalds,lol. So yeah...once in awhile..the kiddos get it too! Just as a treat. I wouldnt do it everyday....I like to cook too much :)
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 10:59 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Eh...we don't flat out refuse it, but they don't get it often at all either. We do like Chic-Fil-A though!
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 11:00 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• i have a 2.5 year old and a 4 year old and i give it to them sometimes when they have been good all week, whats the dif between eating mc donalds and other fast food places or even microwaveable foods?
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 11:00 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• we only don't do fast food. . . if we are going out and about. . . I pack a cooler and stuff it with apples, berries, sandwiches. . . etc. We do drink "soda" but it is natural and organics and that is a once in a blue moon thing. . .we keep water with us always!!! and not store bought bottled either. . . :)
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 11:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I agree thats a bit too much to go every day. But I don't have a problem with going once in a while.
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 11:01 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I go there every so often I have 6 kids so I really can't afford it.
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 11:10 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I'm guilty of hypocrisy, I'll eat Mickey D's every now & again, like 2 times a mo but refuse to give it to my dd. The level of cleanliness, the grade of the meat, the "nutritional" value of the food, the possibility of food poisoning....no fast food for my kid! I agree w/ op, what you teach them now about food will stay w/ them for the rest of their lives. What does that teach kids about food when we're just too lazy to cook them something nutritious?

Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 6:28 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• My daughter has had mcdonalds a couple of times. I do not see a big deal once in a blue moon but not all the time.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:59 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• well we go to chic fil a once a week and it's a treat, believe me. their chicken is less processed though so i guess it's a little better than mc donald's and they can get a fruit cup instead of fries and milk to drink. but i think it's a good treat for them once in a while and i need a break every now and again bc i do cook 3 meals a day too and sometimes i just want to go out somewhere instead of staying home all the time lol. but yes, i agree it sounds like she is too lazy to cook something healthy and just does the fast food instead.....
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:02 PM on Jul. 15, 2010