Are you raising your kids to be good hosts?

I am trying to set a good example for my son to be a good host when we have guests; to be polite, ask them if they need anything, let them get their food first, etc.
I was really proud tonight when my son brought his friends into the kitchen and offered them first pick of the cookies I just took out of the oven. Then a little while later he came downstairs to make them popcorn and drinks for watching their movie.
It is really nice when we see our kids doing something in service to others all on their own, isn't it? :)

KTMOM

Asked by KTMOM at 11:03 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• I agree with the others ~ manners are very important and we should teach our kids to be a good host/hostess. Good manners show that we have respect for our guests! =)
    7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 11:55 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I'm trying but my youngest, 11, thinks he's the class clown and thinks it's funny to push and shove and rough house with all his friends. But sometimes I see his manners come out. Mostly I hear about them from other moms.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 11:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• YES! I think manners are very important and we use every teachable moment available. Being a good host is just one of the many things we work on.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• yes, i agree! and i am always so proud when they say bless you, please, thank you and you're welcome. they even remind daddy to use his manners!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:06 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• We have tried to. They are grown (or getting there - 1 to go) and they do ok. My oldest loves to have people over and cook on the grill. My middle son shares a house with friends. They like to "entertain". I call it a party, but he's 23 yo. It is his to clean up. My 15 yo has people over and tries to be the host. He does ok. I give him pointers before his friends arrive and then I hover. It gets on his nerves so badly.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 11:07 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I think that manners are very important and being a good host is just one of the things we try to teach our kids
    ddmalott

Answer by ddmalott at 11:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I was just saying that to a friend of mine today!!

My 3.5yo son pushed over his 11mo sister (sort of by accident, he wanted her out of the way not on her face on the floor. Lol)
    I heard her start to cry so I turned around and she was laying on the floor on her tummy crying and my son was there patting her back and softly saying "It's ok Ruby, don't cry, it's ok. You're ok."

After I praised him for being a good big brother he said "Well, I did push her."

So not only was he honest but he tried to fix his mistake without be told.

He also is very good with saying please and thank you and "may I". It pumps me full of pride when he doesn't need to be reminded.

Your son sounds like a great kid with wonderful manners and who is courteous and that is something you should definitely be proud of. Clearly you are doing a great job as a mom!
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 11:09 PM on Jul. 15, 2010