Period of a baby. *TMI* adult content

Ok, so my DS will be 6 weeks old on monday. I started my period a few days ag and the question I have is it normal for your period to be really heavy afterwards? I am almost bleeding as much as i had after i gave birth. So anyone have this? Thanks for the help sorry about the TMI

HardyGirl19

Asked by HardyGirl19 at 11:11 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i did i bleed heavier now then b4 kids
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 11:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I bled really hard for two of the five days after DS was born.

BandME

Answer by BandME at 11:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• ya it's normal. you have a lot of stuff to get rid of. usually your periods will always be a little heavier than before you had kids too.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Ok thanks ladies, because when i called my OB no one would tell me a thing. So I was really worried
    HardyGirl19

Comment by HardyGirl19 (original poster) at 11:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Yes, it's normal...worry if it goes on for more than a week.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Yes, heavier is normal. Watch for large clots and/or bleeding more than a heavy duty pad an hour. Also if it smells weird call your doc right away.
    Otherwise, it is normal to have heavier periods after having a baby.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• yes, mine was very irregular (as far as the flow) for months afterward. and i ebf which they say is supposed to take away your period or at least make it lighter but it never did for me lol. started my period at 6 weeks and the dr. looked at me like i was an alien every time lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Yes, your period definitely changes after you have given birth. Mine stayed the same for the first 2 then with my last one I bled longer and harder and I even got cramps. It was awful.

Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 11:14 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• If you are doing too much it can cause you to bleed heavier. Now if your bleeding stopped within 1-2 weeks after birth(it did for me) and you got a heavier menstral period then its just your body trying to get back in tune with it self. Our body goes through so much after a baby and has ways of letting us know when somethings not right! You are not wrong or stupid to ask any question!!! Every woman is different and so is our experiences with birth and after birth effects. Your ob should be more respectful to your needs especially if you're a new mom!!! GL and congrats on your new found joy!!!
    ladyd6280

Answer by ladyd6280 at 11:37 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Have you done any heavy lifting (and by heavy I mean anything heavier than your baby) in the last month? The reason why I ask is because my dr told me after I had my daughter to not lift anything heavier than the baby for the first 30 days. I ignored his orders and lifted my then 13month old. It resulted in an extremely heavy first cycle
    MKSmom09

Answer by MKSmom09 at 1:36 AM on Jul. 16, 2010