How to approach my husband on treating our grand kids & kids better

We recently purchased property in another state where my sons & step-sons live. We have two grandchildren that are 5 & 7 they are normal sisters that bicker with each other. He has no patience with them & actually screams at them. I don't think he realizes how harsh this sound & scares the girls. When the boys were growing up he had no patience with them either. As the boys got older they seem to get along alot better. It has gotten that my son will not bring the girls around when we are there. This will not be acceptable for me. The last time we were down everyone was on edge & uncomfortable for the way he was acting. He has been rude to the older boys saying things that are not nice. When you are married for 24 years & have a lot of love for them how do you tell them either straighten up or you are going to be very lonely. Need help how should I approach this subject

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in General Parenting

• Is this normal behavor for him? Is he stressed? Does he drink or take prescription drugs that might make him on edge?
    MDT09

Answer by MDT09 at 11:13 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Yes he does take blood pressure pills & the stress I believe is from the purchase of the property because of not living in the same state there is alot of things that need to be done & relieing on our kids to help with the projects. No he does not drink.
    Tinkerbell3396

Answer by Tinkerbell3396 at 11:17 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Do you really want to spend the rest of your life with this bully. You could move and be close to your grandchildren.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 11:19 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• you've waited to long ,you should've put him in his place yrs. ago now its gonna cause problems or your marriage if you start complaining ( well to him) you go into something how you want it to be
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 11:43 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Can't help ya, I'm 17 years into the same thing.
    My boys are suffering but they will also suffer if they do not have a Dad and he isn't always rude, just mainly to me and our youngest son which in turn has caused a weaker bond with my older one.
    mom2priceboys

Answer by mom2priceboys at 12:47 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• mom2priceboys... um you would be surprised. My mom stayed with my dad for our sake and no it wasn't good for my brother or for me.... I'd rethink you decision and that harm that it IS doing to your family (this is from conv. w/my mom now)

OP... I think your last couple of sentences were spot on. Just work on saying them outloud TO him. And if nec. go see you kids and grandkids WITHOUT him... form a relationship... don't let his beh. also make your life lonely.
    but I truly think you are going to really say it... STRONGLY, FIRMLY and OUTLOUD ... looking at him straight in the eyes and mean it.
    Good luck.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 10:49 PM on Jul. 18, 2010