My 12 year old son

hates when I show him any affection in public. He is just way too cool for this. Which I do understand. I just wish kids didn't have to grow up so fast. Anyone else see this in theirchildren too?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My daughter was about 13 when she would stand as far away from me as she could so no one would know we were together. I used to threaten to give her a big kiss in front of her friends if she didn't act right. It would straighten her up fast. We laugh about it now. I remember my dad had these green polyster pants in the 70's he wore and how embarassed I was to be seen with him. Now he's gone and I would give anything to be seen with him in those ugly pants. It's a shame we can't make our children understand what's really important in this life.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 11:27 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• Yes, I do. Having three sons with the youngest one 14, I definitely have experienced this phenomenon. It doesn't get any easier after going through it with the first one. My other two are 16 and 19 so everyone is at his own stage. I am the only female in the household so living in a male world is something I face daily. I don't know if I helped you, but we are in the same boat.
    zboys

Answer by zboys at 11:28 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My son is almost 11 and he for the most part doesn't mind. Sometimes he will even hold my hand. I know that the day is coming when he will be embarrassed to tell me he loves me or hug me in front of his friends, so for now I take all the love and affection I can get.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 11:36 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• i remember acting like that :(
    not looking forward to that at all!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 11:36 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• My son is the oldest (11 almost 12) and he still hugs me and holds my hand in public. I hope he is never embarrassed to show affection to his parents.
    7blessings

Answer by 7blessings at 11:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I HAVE A 20 AND 14 YR OLD BOYS AND THEY ARE VERY AFFECTIONATE TOWARDS ME, THEY ALWAYS HUG ME AND KISS ME GOOD BYE IT DOESN'T MATTER WHERE WE ARE.. THANK GOD.. I WOULD REALLY BE HURT IF THEY ACTED LIKE THAT.. THEY ARE BOTH 6 FEET TALL AND I'M ONLY 5'2.. THEY LIKE TO TEASE ME ABOUT MY HEIGHT..
    GOOD LUCK MAYBE IT JUST A STAGE AND THEY'LL OUT GROW IT SOON ENOUGH
    MAMI_D_5

Answer by MAMI_D_5 at 12:41 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• lol right now no, they are 2 and 4 but i know my times comeing =(
    DeeMarie87

Answer by DeeMarie87 at 11:24 PM on Jul. 15, 2010

• I never had this issue with my 15 yr old. He still hugs and kisses me, in fact I think he finds the humor in it infront of his friends. There are many times after an event he'll ask to stay at something, and I'll say yes and he hugs and kisses me to say thank you. At night he always tells me he loves me and hugs and kisses me good night - I feel pretty blessed my 15 yr old doesn't mind showing affection. He still will curl up on my lap when we watch movies at home. My 12 yr old on the other hand start the distancing at 10, but we came up with another way to show affection in public, he would punch me in the arm (not hard) but it was his way of showing affection. So sitting together at an event - he would just punch me or I would punch him it was like our own code. At home its different, he lays in my lap, wants me to tuck him in, tells me loves me, hugs me.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 11:31 AM on Jul. 16, 2010