Are shin splints normal?

I am 23 weeks pregnant, and for the past week I have had some terrible shin splints. They hurt to move. They hurt to touch. I can hardly stand the pain. Are shin splints during pregnancy normal? And how do you ease the pain?

PhoenixFire

Asked by PhoenixFire at 11:51 PM on Jul. 15, 2010 in Pregnancy

• They usually have to do with too much activity or lack of support in your shoes. Try wearing sneakers or shoes with really good arches. Ice them down for 20 minutes every hour if you can. I would recommend staying away from heat or bengay. You can tape them but you have to tape pulling towards the middle of your shin. Make sure you have someone who knows show you. I was an athletic trainer in college and we taped them up all the time but ICE ICE ICE and get support in those shoes.
    hq9858

Answer by hq9858 at 10:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• phoenix, i know you've been on bedrest, or at least a limited movement, while you've been pregnant. shin splints usually mean you're moving too much. so go back to bed! my hubs suggested using athletic tape (or like pp said, saran wrap), and also to ask your doc about circulation. don't cut off your blood flow.
    i knwo i sometimes get charley horses because i don't like bananas and i have been having potassium issues, but i think that is different. ooh, i wish i could just wrap you up and hold you til you give birth!!!
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 10:03 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• oh you poor thing! I dont remember shin splints in my pregnancies. I did get them in high school b/c of gymnastics. We used to take ben-gay and wipe it on our shins and wrap in plastic wrap, like saran wrap. Helped so much. Im not saying its not possible to get shin splints during pregnancy,,heck, anything is possible. Hope this helps...:)
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:00 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Thanks AngryBob! It only really hurts at the end of the day, and I do get up and move around (to use the restroom and get food and to pick dd up from school), but other than that I am in bed with my feet elevated. And still at the end of the day the shin splints are there. It sucks!

Thanks for the advice. I will have to try those out.
    PhoenixFire

Comment by PhoenixFire (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Thanks hq. I don't think it is too much activity as I'm practically confined to the bed. I guess that means it's the shoes. I've been wearing my sandals lately because they are loose, and I don't have to worry about my swelling feet trying to explode out of them. Guess I'll just have to suffer and pull the sneakers back out. They're my athletic trainers that I used for teaching boot camp (fitness training) last summer.
    PhoenixFire

Comment by PhoenixFire (original poster) at 10:13 PM on Jul. 16, 2010