Colic?

My 2 1/2 month old has been on such an amazing bedtime schedule since he was about 6 weeks old. For the past week every night before bed he screams on the top of his lungs, and no matter what I do I can't console him. Any ideas what this could be? Colic? Coming down with something? I was going to call the Dr. tomorrow because this is just not like him, but I wanted other mommy feedback in the meantime! Thanks!

TsMommy428

Asked by TsMommy428 at 12:21 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• "Ronald Barr, a pediatrician at McGill University has studied infant crying patterns. He discovered that infants with supposed colic do not cry more often or at particular times of the day; they just cry longer each time. His suggestion is that such crying is normal but may be prolonged by modern practices such as longer intervals between feedings. Dr. Barr compared the results of a study done of the !Kung of South Africa with the typical ways in which American infants are handled and fed. The !Kung carry their babies with them constantly. Babies may be fed three or four times an hour for a minute or two at each feeding (Konner, Worthman 1980). In the US, the ave. number of feedings in a day is 7 and the ave. length of time between feedings is 3 hours. So Barr asked American mothers to carry their babies at least 3 hrs/day. These mothers reported that their babies cried only half as long as babies whose mothers did not carry"
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:42 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• having a harder time transitioning states~like the get stuck. I keep watching for change and see what the MD thought~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:26 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• If it was colic he'd be crying like this all day long. Does he sleep by himself? He may not want you to leave him & has figured out screaming & crying means you won't. Try snuggling him to sleep w/ you & put him in his crib after he's asleep. He may be afraid to be alone or just realizes he's missing out on the party!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 6:08 AM on Jul. 16, 2010