Better sleep associations for 6.5 month old?

My son needs to have a bottle (warm milk) before taking a nap and before bedtime (part of bedtime routine now) about 90% of the time. He doesn't use pacifiers or any attachments to toys/blankets. I think he's associating bottle with sleep, probably stemming from when he used to fall asleep while nursing (and still does). Any suggestions to develop better sleep habits that doesn't rely on us? (self-soothing) I'm not too keen on the cry-it-out methods and we've tried various things (dim lights, music, etc)

angelayang

Asked by angelayang at 9:57 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The only thing that helped me convert my son to be a self soother is right when his eyes start to roll put him in his bed and comfort him while he is laying down until he knocks out. Then after time start to put him down before he starts falling asleep, doing the same thing, ie patting him.

I now can put my son down at night after his bottle wide awake and 99% of the time he goes to sleep with out any other interference. GL
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 10:55 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Feed upon waking each time and give up the bottle before sleep. He may cry a bit at first but he'll get used to it... that's different than CIO in my book. I'm going through this with my daughter and her pacifier this week and it's been surprisingly MUCH easier than I ever thought. There was crying on the first day but now on day 3 we've made huge progress. She's sleeping SO much better and so am I!
    flalbert

Answer by flalbert at 1:33 PM on Oct. 1, 2008