Breastfeeding and menstrual cycles

So I went to the nutritionist today because dd's weight gain has slowed WAY down, and while going through dd's eating habits and such I asked the nutritionist if she knew of anyone having issues with Mirena (my current birth control) and breastfeeding problems. She looked at me like I was stupid and told me that breastfeeding was birth control. Ummm...yeah...I don't think so! It is possible to not ovulate while breastfeeding but my period returned at 6 weeks and I had 3 before the birth control at 4 and a half months. I'm just looking for your opinions here, I just don't know what to think....

rhianna1708

Asked by rhianna1708 at 1:05 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yeah... that lady is misinformed. I got my periods back around 4 months postpartum, while still exclusively breastfeeding.
    AND
    I got pregnant WHILE still breastfeeding ~~TWICE!!!
    MarigoldsMama

Answer by MarigoldsMama at 1:11 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Sounds like you need a new nutritionist. I got pregnant while breastfeeding my daughter. I was not on birth control but I was not using BF as birth control either. I just was not regular while I was breastfeeding. Sometimes BF babies' weights do slow down. My kids were in the high percentiles and then went into the lower percentiles.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 1:12 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Breastfeeding is NOT birth control! For some women they don't get their periods for a while if they're breastfeeding. Once your periods start you're fertile again! I have a friend who was breastfeeding & on the low dose pill & her sons are 13 mo apart! Keep on your mirena & look to other causes of your son's weight slow down.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 6:01 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I think you need a new nutritionist. I can't believe that she said that.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:15 AM on Jul. 16, 2010