• In the Spotlight:

4 month old wakes at 4 a.m. Is there anything I can do to change this?

For the past week my son has been waking up, ready for his day, at 4 a.m. Mommy is NOT ready to start her day at this hour. I've been putting him to bed around 7:30 p.m. after a bath and nursing. He wakes about 3 times before I go to bed around 10. And then nurses about every 2 hours in the night (he's strictly breastfed). He also takes around 3 naps a day anywhere from 45 min to 2 hours. Napping around 4 hours a day. He usually eats every 2 to 3 hours a day. Is there anything I can about the 4 a.m. wake up time? I thought his bedtime was decent although he's usually tired around 5 or 6 p.m. sometimes taking a 1/2 nap. If he's tired at 5:30 p.m. should this be his bedtime or should I let him nap? (sorry for so many questions in one)

MaMaMo531

Asked by MaMaMo531 at 10:01 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would try and put him to be a little later. Maybe around 9 or 9:30. I dont put my son to sleep until 10, and most people tell me that its too late, but he takes a nap at 7 so he isnt tired until then. My son went through the same thing and i moved his play pen into our room and when he woke up i would bring him into our room and let him lay in his play pen with his bink, he would normally fall back to sleep. GL
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 10:10 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• no naps after 6 and try to keep him up longer like 8:00 maybe try some baby ceral before he goes to bed this might hold him longer than just milk
    Alyssamoma08

Answer by Alyssamoma08 at 10:12 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I'm betting its just a phase! Maybe put him to bed later or don't let him nap after 5 or so. Is he co-sleeping? If not bring him to bed with you when he wakes up and see if he will go back down then. Good job on breastfeeding him! Oh and don't give him cereal! Ugh
    TanyaR1024

Answer by TanyaR1024 at 10:20 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Do you co-sleep? If my 14 month old wakes up during the night I just nurse her back to sleep
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 10:26 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Thank you! Yes. He sleeps with me and my husband all night long. I hope it's just a phase. He is so jolly and cute at that time It's ashame I'm so dang tired and have trouble sharing his joy.
    MaMaMo531

Answer by MaMaMo531 at 10:28 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Aw hun, my son does the same thing although he goes to bed around 9 or 9:30 after nursing. Goodness I know how you feel. I let him nurse until he unlatches instead of timing each side. Then when he gets up at 3:30AM, I nurse him and he goes back to sleep. Maybe if you will just continue to lay in the bed and nurse him, he will go back to sleep. I know it's frustrating. I agree that it is probably just a phase. They have growth spurts too that mess with their schedule. Not sure if there is one around 4 months or not.
    mommyjen1980

Answer by mommyjen1980 at 10:36 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Seems he is trying to set his own sleep schedule..LOL! Babies go through sleep schedule changes so much in the first year. I would start by keeping him up later one night and maybe you can reset his schedule. Warning what ever night you do this be prepared for a very fussy baby. You can probably keep him distracted by doing new activaties that will keep him a wake. Warn the rest of the house also that it could be a very loud night so they are prepared too. I have had to reset our 6th month olds schedule I can't even count now and every time there was a very tired screaming babie dominating the house..LOL! I would keep an eye out on the naps during the day also, naps during the day can be a huge factor on hoew his sleeping at night will be..the key is balancing it to where he gets more sleep at night.
    Izzyscrazymom

Answer by Izzyscrazymom at 10:39 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I would sugest starting his bedtime routine about 8:30 or 9. GL

PS i dont see any reason that you can't give a little cereal mixed with breast milk. I did, b/c my son had a healthy appetite and I needed some ZZZ's.
    brannen

Answer by brannen at 10:48 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• I see no reason to not let him have that 5:30 nap if it's short. But then keep him up longer - especially if he's waking up 3 times between 7:30 and 10. He could be getting too much sleep (yes it is possible when they're so young - I went through it with our 2nd). I let my kids dictate their own schedule when they were that age, to a degree. They napped when they wanted, but not past suppertime, and went down when they were ready, whether it was 8 or midnight. I never really had a problem with them waking up too early for the day til very very recently.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:08 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• My son goes to bed around 6:30 or 7:30 every night & wakes up at 6. I'm totally exhausted by the time he falls asleep because everything I do with him he has to put up a fight. I try to change his diaper, he screams bloody murder & tries to get away from me. I have to lay him on the floor, change his diaper & hold him down with one of my feet at the same time lol. I try to feed him, he smacks the spoon out of my hand, tries to grab the bowl of food & throw it everywhere or turns his head right at the last second when I have a spoonful of food going for his mouth. Also sleeping is always a struggle. I'd say try to keep him up longer but that's not always easy to do.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 11:26 AM on Oct. 1, 2008