My 6 month old wants to be carried all the time. Please advise.

I am 8 weeks pregnant and feel sick often. my 6 month old son wants attention all the time and wants me to carry him.I have seen other babies of his age who play by themselves. how can i make him do that because i don't have anyone to help me here and it would be very difficult later during pregnancy and when the new baby comes.

Silky24

Asked by Silky24 at 10:02 AM on Oct. 1, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My little one was the same way. She wanted to be held all the time. It was impossible for me to get anything done. BUT I felt like at that age she needed mommy and I held her. Some people might have thought I was spoiling her, but I truly believe at this age you can't spoil your baby.
    Remember he is only 6 mos. He needs you just as much as your new baby. It will be hard, but sometimes as a mom we are stretched thin.
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 10:11 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Buy a sling and "wear" your 6 month old. When he is getting his fill of being held, he will start to move away and be more independent. If you try and push him to be away form you he will cling tighter.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:08 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• P.S. I should add my little one is now a totally independent 3 year old, who loves to play by herself. Just give him time.
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 10:12 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• This may sound harsh to some mother's, but don't give in to his cries. Let him learn how to be independant, when you give in to him, you are teaching him that all he has to do is cry to get his way. That is not always a good thing and you shouldn't feel like a bad mom cause there is a big difference between nurturing him and teaching him a lesson, so to say. You should watch Nanny 911 one of these days. The parents on there are perfect examples of how parents give into the kids and that is why they misbehave.....
    amber1216

Answer by amber1216 at 10:18 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• Invest in a sling so that it's easier to carry your baby around. www.babyslings.com or you can actually make your own if you look up patterns on line. My baby is 14 months old now and walking everywhere. I miss when she wanted ME to hold her all the time. It goes by fast...
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 10:24 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• If you want him to be a little more independent, do not give in! But on the flipside, he's only 6 months old - you can't ignore him completely - and at that age there's not a lot of playing alone they can do. Do you have a walker, or exersaucer, something like that? Set up a bit of a schedule - like, for every hour, spend 20 minutes playing with him, 20 minutes doing other stuff, 20 minutes just being near him but not physically touching him. KWIM? Having something like the things I mentioned before really really helps with the being near but not totally with them. Helps him gain a little independence, and keep your hands free to do other things. If you're gonig to another room for a period of time, move him to that room with you.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:04 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• America is truly unique in its treatment of babies. They go through so many psychologically and physically harmful things ... Hospital protocols create tense and stressful births for babies and moms, circumcision is routinely inflicted, vaccinations are heaped on despite obvious and suspected dangers, AND mothers are advised to withhold affection. Wow. No wonder our society is so full of cold, mean people ... In other countries, families hold their babies all the time. Truly, it is a COMMON practice.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 11:36 AM on Oct. 1, 2008

• You know those Japanese with their phenomenally intelligent and motivated children who far surpass our American students? Yeah, they carry their babies ALL the time, and sleep WITH them. Needing to be in your arms is how babies are designed. They are only asking for what they actually NEED from you. They need physical contact and eye contact affection for their physical health, intelligence, and emotional well-being. Sure, you can teach them you are not there for them, that they should not want connection with others because they aren't going to get it, you can teach them to give up, ... but why not raise a healthy, happy genius?
    waldorfmom

• waldorfmom I COMPLETELY agree with you. 6 mos is still a very young age, your baby still needs you at this time, please do not ignore him, or teach him a "lesson". They don't get spoiled this young, and the only lesson they learn is "I need hugs from mommy, but she doesn't want to hug me". The unfortunate reality is, as a pp stated, as moms we are stretched thin, and you still need to be there for your 6 mos old. Buy a sling, but don't ignore him as though he is supposed to play alone at that age.
    Anonymous

• Waldorfmom . . I think you are being quite harsh. Sometimes, we have other things we need to do and we can't hold the baby 24/7. Would you suggest we wear our babies in slings while we are cooking at the hot stove? Or maybe we should just stop eating, would you suggest starvation over putting the baby down for a little while? Or how about when we are showering, that shouldn't bother baby right? Or even doing laundry . . . oops if baby falls out of the sling and on to the floor . . at least we will still be right there with them? No one suggested she put her baby in the basement and ignore him indefinitely!!! Babies do need to learn a little bit of independence.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:49 PM on Oct. 1, 2008