Attachment... my DD won't let anyone else other than me & DH hold her.. what to do?

I should be happy that my 7 mo old DD is so attached to me and I am... but maybe a little too attached? She won't let anyone else hold her or else she'd start crying at the top of her lungs.. and when handed back over to me, she stops... Even her grandparents.. partially because we don't see them that often as we should and DD is not used to them...but how will anyone be able to babysit her when I go back to work? How do I get her to be more accepting of other people?

urban_baybee

Asked by urban_baybee at 1:36 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We had a vicious phase of stranger danger that didn't end until she was 12- 13 months old. (She is now 14 months) We had to really work at it. Strangers could not even talk to her. She would cling to us and cry until she threw up. We started almost forcing her to sit near others at our home and I would leave the room/ her sight for longer stretches at a time. It was tough, but it took a lot of baby steps. Another child was only scared for 2 months. It varies and I have no answer as to why.
    love2snorkel70

Answer by love2snorkel70 at 1:42 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Im only going to help you with the grandparents question here,,,cause the rest will hopefully fall into place later. Hand dd over to grandparents and you and dh leave the room! I mean all the way leave the room, dont peak out from behind a corner. Actually, you and him take off for 10 minutes. Go get gas for the car, go get lunch for the family at the grocery store. Just allow grandma and grandpa time alone with their grand dd. She needs the interaction and they need their grandbaby to be comfortable with them. I promise this will work. Only 10 minutes,,,you can be away from her for 10 minutes,,yes?
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:45 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Worry about that when the time comes.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:58 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Actually we've tried leaving her with grandparents already... and she cried for 1 and a half hours straight...
    urban_baybee

Comment by urban_baybee (original poster) at 2:10 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• All babies go through this phase. They DO outgrow it. She is normal. The more you respond to her cries of distress and let her know you are there, the more confident and safe she will feel and the easier it will be for her to trust that when she is with someone else she is okay. If you push it too hard, it will backfire.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:34 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• This is totally normal, she is going through a developmental stage where babies have separation anxiety. Some babies have it more than others. She is NOT "too attached", no such thing! What should you do? Only you and DH hold her until she starts to grow out of it. Don't try and leave her with grandma, don't try and get her to warm up to other people, it will only backfire. Just hold her close while she works through this and soon she will be pushing you away!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• She WILL outgrow it. The only way to weather it is to go through it.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:23 PM on Jul. 16, 2010