how do i stop my 7 year old son from crying when he doesnt get his way,he has started to act out and throws bad fits,hes driving me crazy.when he doesnt listen i take his skateboard,or his cars he plays with .but then he acts the same way a couple of days later.....help..any ideas.

ZACANDZOIESMOM

Asked by ZACANDZOIESMOM at 2:19 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Punishment doesn't stop bad behavior or teach good behavior. Stop taking things away, it will only make things worse. You might try the book How to Talk So Kids Will Listen.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:22 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Do not acknowledge the behaviors you want him to stop. Any kind of attention, positive or negative, reinforces the behavior. When he starts a tantrum, walk away. Even if you are in the store. Stay close enough for his safety but far enough that he knows he isn't affecting you with the fit.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 2:33 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I'd put him in his room and tell him to think about why the way he is acting is not okay. He's 7 he's old enough to know you don't throw a fit.
    MomNbabyGirl009

Answer by MomNbabyGirl009 at 2:39 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Make sure that No means No every time...
    If you are giving in to his demands after a fit... then you are teaching him that No = Keep Crying.

Set up the consquences and stick to them... every time... until he gets it.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 2:45 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• try positive reinforcement..ignore the bad reward the good. have a chart of what he is supposed to do. talk about it and have a discussion. make him design his own chart. hope this helps.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 4:57 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I used to tell my oldest you can cry (or pitch a fit) if you want to But I don't have to see it or hear it so go to your room until you get yourself under control.
    I use 1-2-3 magic with my kids. (google it, buy it, read it, do what it says) that way if my kids get punished it really is their fault since I give them 3 chances to straighten up. Less stress for Mom !!
    We also have 3 laws in our house (laws we can't break, rules can be bent) Courtesy, common sense and safety at all times.
    rules like bedtimes can be bent but not the laws...thats a HUGE NO NO!!
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 8:56 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• By not giving him his way. He needs to learn that temper tantrums will not get him what he wants. No means no, regardless of his babyish behavior. It will take time and consistency, but by not allowing the temper tantrums to get him what he wants, he'll eventually learn that he needs to find a better way.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 9:39 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I have a cryer... he gets himself very worked up. Just send him away and tell him that he can come back and discuss it like a big kid when he is ready. My son goes to his room. Usually he'll have a big to-do and then suddenly stop, collect himself and come back.

If you give in, he gets his way and the behavior is reinforced.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 12:09 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• I have a 7 year old. She is told that if she can't control herself she needs to go to her room until she can. Sometimes we don't see her the rest of the night and sometimes she comes down and apologizes for her behavior.
    MommyB2010

Answer by MommyB2010 at 10:53 PM on Jul. 16, 2010

• walk away wen he takes a tantrum he only fir attention my son used to do the same doesnt it such much now cos he knows i dont listen wen he takes them
    marie511

Answer by marie511 at 4:37 PM on Jul. 18, 2010