Do I need to worry about my milk drying up?

My DD is 4 months old and only has my BM but I am not pumping like I did with my DS. I have no idea how much she is getting. She is growing like a weed. Do I need to worry about my milk drying up or as long as she is eating do you think I will keep making enough for her?
Molly
Nolan 6/8/07 Katherine 3/9/10

NOLANandKT

Asked by NOLANandKT at 3:23 AM on Jul. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You are fine! There is no NEED to pump. Your body produces based on demand. Count diapers. As long as she is having at least 6 considerably wet diapers per day, you're fine!

kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 3:33 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Thank you. I went back to work with my first, so I pumped. I am enjoying BF so I really do not want to pump. Plus she does not want to eat from a bottle. I was just starting to worry if my body will keep making enough till she is at least 1 year. I think she has least 6 wet diapers but I will count tomorrow to make sure.
    NOLANandKT

Comment by NOLANandKT (original poster) at 3:41 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Even if there is a day or two where she doesn't produce 6 wet diapers, as long as she is steadily gaining weight, she's fine! Keep in mind that diaper count slowly go down as babies get older, so this rule will not always apply!

Your body will make as much milk as it is being directed to.

I totally get your anxiety over not knowing how much your baby is getting- totally normal!

Pumping is a pain in the ass! Don't do it unless you have to! :) I had to exclusively pump for 16 weeks and then still pump half the time for another 6 weeks after that because my son was 16 weeks premature.

You're doing great!
    kynziesmom

Answer by kynziesmom at 5:16 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• There is definitely no NEED to pump. Your supply is based on demand and you will be fine. However, for your own sanity, it would be good to get her to take a bottle! You need a break sometimes too. Unfortunately now that she's 4 months it will be a bit more difficult since they say for best results, introduce the bottle between 4-6 weeks. Here's some good info on introducing the bottle: http://www.babycenter.com/0_introducing-your-breastfed-baby-to-the-bottle-or-cup_473.bc
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 10:03 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Thank you. I did introduce a bottle at 6 weeks and she took it just fine. The next couple of times she would not take a bottle. Formal or pumped BM. I even tried different bottles. We switched between bottle and me for my DS and he never had a problem. I was not ready for her to be so picky with just wanting me. For right now I am fine but like you said it would be nice to take a break at some point. I will checkout that webpage thank you, jacksmom3707.
    NOLANandKT

Comment by NOLANandKT (original poster) at 11:25 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• You don't need to give a baby a bottle if they don't want it. A cup, spoon, or eyedropper will also work. frankly, "needing a break" can be a cascade effect. The cluster feeding will get better. And even an older baby can get nipple confusion so be aware of that--not everyone can switch back and forth with bottles without a problem. The older a baby gets and when they aren't in a growth spurt the longer they can go between feeds...that is your break.

if you are concerned with your supply, look at OUTPUT. if she's got 6-8 wet diapers she's perfectly fine. As long as she nurses and removes milk, you make more to replace it.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 11:40 AM on Jul. 16, 2010

• Just count dipes. Milk doesn't just suddenly dry up if you continue to nurse on demand.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:26 PM on Jul. 16, 2010